My first attempt at 'birding".

Montana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Howdy Folks! Lookin' for some feedback on this shot. I went out the other day for the first time, to try and capture birds. It never interested me before, but the weather was great and I felt like being out doors. Well, I found it rather enjoyable.....the quiet, the sneaking, and the waiting.

I know the composition isn't the best. The little fella wouldn't turn to look into the photo. LOL I was running of cropping options really.

I shot this with my 40D and Sigma 50-500 @ 500mm, f/11, 1/160 sec, ISO 100....and of course on a tripod.

Derrick

I really appreciate any and all comments to help me improve capturing shots of these creatures.

PrettyBoy-1.jpg

LOL...and there are more times than not that I wish for more than 500!

Derrick

I like the shot alot. Traditional composition rules (whatever that means) says the bird should be looking into the picture, but with the fence and post in the frame, it works here. Nice soft lighting too. Nice job!

Thanks. It was early evening/late afternoon. Shot away from the sun. How does the sharpness appear? I bumped it a tad in post, but I was really surprised with the sharpness after converting raw to TIFF without added sharpening. There is a lot of feather detail in the large version. I didn't quite expect such detail from the Sigma. And the out of focus blurred background was more pleasant than I expected too. I get happier with this lens every time I use it. I was worried because of the price, but I like this lens a lot. The wide end is actually handy at times, but the lens is a beast to pack around. LOL

Thanks for the comments.

Derrick

Here is a closer crop to show some detail...

PrettyBoy-Copy.jpg

And here is the original for comparison...

PrettyBoy-Copy-1.jpg

kind of out of focus.

Maybe a tad, but thats a pretty serious crop. And at 500mm, its likely a tad soft. It looks fairly sharp before the big crop. IMHO It would be nearly impossible for me to manual focus any better with the 40D viewfinder with such a small subject at that far of a distance. I have tried it before out of curiousity, and the autofocus kicked my butt every time. LOL

Derrick

Most reactions

Back