My first attempt at fireworks! c&c please

LuckySe7en

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was my first attempt at shooting fireworks. I used the timer since I do not have a cable release. These are the few that came out decent. Let me know what I need to do differently next time. Thanks!
IMG_4680.jpg

IMG_4717.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

Nicely shot - I think a shorter SS in #3 might have worked better. One thought for next time, try and include some of the surrounding area to situate the viewer. You've got a little bit in the last image, but more would be better.

thank you. I was in Kemah and we were eating dinner, lost track of time and ran out before they started firing them. I set up as fast as I could, tried to remember all the settings and this is what came out of it lol.

What is with the blur in #4? However, it's really good. I still haven't had a chance to try out fireworks photography. I guess I gotta wait till new year eve.

What is with the blur in #4? However, it's really good. I still haven't had a chance to try out fireworks photography. I guess I gotta wait till new year eve.

Im going to venture a guess and say that the blur is the smoke from the blast

IMHO, fireworks are better enjoyed than photographed. Without any foreground to either time or place them, they are utterly forgettable.

p!nK

I think what was another blast. I set the shutter for about 4 seconds. Sometimes as long as 8.
I apprecaite that mrpink, I'm looking at them now and they are rather boring.

I've shot fireworks before and my problem always seemed to be getting too close and having a lot of smoke appear in the photos. That does not appear to be a problem here but I agree that some more structure out front may help these from just be "normal" fireworks pics.

For the record, GO TEXAS, CRUSH ou! (I'm from SA, went to Texas undergrad and law school).

I've taken fireworks photo and I think that a little bit longer exposure would have allowed the ends to gently fold over rather that sort of stop short. When the rays trail off the shot is overall more interesting. I am constantly amazed at how much detail and color the camera can capture when the eye can't for fireworks. That's I love best...what I find after I've shot them.

These are pretty good for your first shot at fireworks. Often they come out very overblown or shakey looking. I've had good luck using a remote shutter release, hold the shutter open only after you hear the mortar go off, then release when the firework developes into a nice bloom. Often you can even wait longer if you can see the small burn of the mortar in the sky. This can help cut down the shutter speed which will help with some of the smoke blur.

#4 has blur from the smoke, but you might also be seeing the power lines going across the frame that is in the other shots but not so visible.

Thanks for the comments. A remote shutter release would have been great. I just kept firing at different shutter speeds hoping to catch a few good ones.
Yea I didn't realize there were power lines until I uploaded them. Next time I'll be more prepared.

I really like the first two. Well done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back