SimOtakuGirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$314072_3453153047906_259007617_n.jpg

Hmmm... I'm not really getting "abandoned" from this. I think you need to be closer in to show the dereliction/decay and get the 'abandoned' message across.

Yeah, I agree with tirediron. This is not working here. There is no detail to draw the eye in.

Maybe it's just my monitor, but was this with a cell phone? For some reason it looks pixelated to me

I'm sorry if it doesn't look good. The camera I own and took this with is a Sanyo vpc-s880 and I took this driving by on a busy street.

this looks like a picture you took with a point shoot while driving in a car of a random building that went out of business a couple months ago due to being in a below average part of town and having nothing really to draw customers to it.

If that is what you wanted to communicate, success.

I'm sorry if it doesn't look good. The camera I own and took this with is a Sanyo vpc-s880 and I took this driving by on a busy street.
This is nothing to do with your camera. Technically, the image is fine, it may be pixellated due to low resolution, close-cropping, or whatever, but that's minor. The point we're trying to get across to you is that there's not a lot in this image to hold a veiwer's interest. What is it about the image that YOU find appealing and interesting? What was your thought process and final vision when you took this photograph?

The best thing about old building is the textures and contrast. Try to capture this the next time you shoot a building.

This is nothing to do with your camera. Technically, the image is fine, it may be pixellated due to low resolution, close-cropping, or whatever, but that's minor. The point we're trying to get across to you is that there's not a lot in this image to hold a veiwer's interest. What is it about the image that YOU find appealing and interesting? What was your thought process and final vision when you took this photograph?

I don't know, I thought this one turned out really good seeing as how I had my camera on sports mode and driving by so fast. Most of my pictures come out way too blurry when I'm trying to capture something fast moving.

There is a lesson here. When you see something that catches your eye - it's because there's something there. However, the eye-brain connection is yours and to capture that "something" in a way that communicates it to other viewers takes some work. Probably the first thing to determine is what was it that was special - and this can be hard to do because much of our perception operates on a subconsious level. Once you've zoned in on what was special, then comes the photographic work of packaging it in a way that captures that "specialness" for viewers that have no connection to the scene or to your own experiences. There are a bunch of decisions to be made - what to include and exclude in the frame (are the foreground/background important or not), the amount of perspective (flat, strongly angled), the vantage point (high, low), where you want to place your focus, how much blur do you want to see (a function of aperture or depth-of-field), the overall tonality (determined by overall exposure) and mood, and so on.

Often times, the subject is fine, but the light is not - and you have to come back when the light is better for your purposes.

As tirediron asked, "what was it about the image that YOU find appealing and interesting?". This is not a trivial question. It is, in fact, a fundamental part of learning to photograph, to notice "something" and then to work out for yourself in a conscious way what it was that was noteworthy. It's part of learning to "see". And once you have a grip on what it is that is attractive, then comes the combination of art and technique that renders an image noteworthy for other viewers.

Like Tirediron stated "Technically, the image is fine", but there's just nothing of interest even as a snapshot.

Sim - if you want to be an effective photographer, you'll have to get out of your car!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back