My First Bridals (C & C please)

LizzyQ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is my first bridal session (for a friend).. C&C and edits welcome :)

2634754727_db333e6c9a.jpg

2635591274_d15aa2121c.jpg

2634837645_979c4dfa0c.jpg

2634758503_6837b808f9.jpg

2634879887_2bbcae396a.jpg

2635651958_05529fb693.jpg

2634714149_42d8712666.jpg

2634708109_5dc385a671.jpg

more:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/veganmother/tags/courtney/

Last edited:
1. YOu need to adjust your white balance the dress and veil is blue.
2. nice pose, smile looks false, and you should have pulled the dress down, unless the flipflops are symbolising something to the bride
3.I like this, although I dislike the metal fence in the background
4.Nice
5. Not bad, I think a tighter crop would be a little bit better, also the dress looks like its lost detail
6.like the background setting, Right side of the dress looks a little blown
7 and 8 are my faves, I love the settinga and the pose. she looks relaxed and happy, there are a couple of bright spots that may be edited out on the dress though

Really nice set in all, looks like you were lucky to have some practice :)

1. YOu need to adjust your white balance the dress and veil is blue.
2. nice pose, smile looks false, and you should have pulled the dress down, unless the flipflops are symbolising something to the bride
3.I like this, although I dislike the metal fence in the background
4.Nice
5. Not bad, I think a tighter crop would be a little bit better, also the dress looks like its lost detail
6.like the background setting, Right side of the dress looks a little blown
7 and 8 are my faves, I love the settinga and the pose. she looks relaxed and happy, there are a couple of bright spots that may be edited out on the dress though

Really nice set in all, looks like you were lucky to have some practice :)

The flip flops in #2 were deliberate :blushing:

C&C per req:
1. A nice pose, but suffers from over-saturation and/or white-balance issues. There's a very strong blue caste to the dress, and the grass is unnaturally dark. As well the image is slightly over-exposed.
2. Another really nice pose, but suffers from very harsh highlights. Looking at the light, I would have to guess this was shot at the worst possible time of day. A lot of detail lost in the dress.
3, 4. I would prefer to see this one without the bright spot RH middle, and the chain-link fence in the background. Backgrounds are a critical, often over-looked part of a photograph, and what they add or take away can make a huge difference. The B&W conversion is nicely done.
5. Nice, with better exposure. Highlights are still about 1/2 stop to strong, especially around the head/chest area. The image also needs straightening.
6. Again, issues with highlights, which I think could be cleared up with a levels/curves adjustment. Is this angle intentional?
7, 8. Nice, and much better exposure on the dress, however still over-bright highlights in the background. Good use of parallel lines to draw the subject in, however in this case, they keep right on going, taking the eye past the subject, although the crop in 8 makes it a more pleasing image.
Overall a nice group of images with some technical issues which I hope I may have given you some insight into. Wedding photography is perhaps the most demanding discipline in our field, not only because there are no 'do-overs' but because the emotions attached to the day can make things difficult as well.
Take care not to shoot images like this when the sun is too high, and make sure you have a good supply of reflectors, diffusers, and fill-lights to even out exposures. As well, a good CPOL filter and some ND Grads would be useful

Just my $00.02 worth - your opinion may vary.

~John

C&C per req:
1. A nice pose, but suffers from over-saturation and/or white-balance issues. There's a very strong blue caste to the dress, and the grass is unnaturally dark. As well the image is slightly over-exposed.
2. Another really nice pose, but suffers from very harsh highlights. Looking at the light, I would have to guess this was shot at the worst possible time of day. A lot of detail lost in the dress.
3, 4. I would prefer to see this one without the bright spot RH middle, and the chain-link fence in the background. Backgrounds are a critical, often over-looked part of a photograph, and what they add or take away can make a huge difference. The B&W conversion is nicely done.
5. Nice, with better exposure. Highlights are still about 1/2 stop to strong, especially around the head/chest area. The image also needs straightening.
6. Again, issues with highlights, which I think could be cleared up with a levels/curves adjustment. Is this angle intentional?
7, 8. Nice, and much better exposure on the dress, however still over-bright highlights in the background. Good use of parallel lines to draw the subject in, however in this case, they keep right on going, taking the eye past the subject, although the crop in 8 makes it a more pleasing image.
Overall a nice group of images with some technical issues which I hope I may have given you some insight into. Wedding photography is perhaps the most demanding discipline in our field, not only because there are no 'do-overs' but because the emotions attached to the day can make things difficult as well.
Take care not to shoot images like this when the sun is too high, and make sure you have a good supply of reflectors, diffusers, and fill-lights to even out exposures. As well, a good CPOL filter and some ND Grads would be useful

Just my $00.02 worth - your opinion may vary.

~John

Thanks John!

Yes, we were dealing with major sunlight issues.. we left for this shoot early in the morning, and stuck to shady spots, but as you can see, it was a very sunny (and HOT) morning!

#5 looks like the focus is more on the background than her. I would like it more if all of the flowers were in the shot. The last two are my favorite. I like that she seems more relaxed. Were those taken at the end of the shoot? As for that dress, I love the blue!

Most reactions

Back