My first composite photo for book cover. C&C

FITBMX

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend asked me about a book cover for their short stories, I said, I would do it for free because this is the first time I have ever done anything like this. And if my friend makes it rich off the book I know they will make it right with me.
I know that TPF isn't really the right place for this, but I trust you guys to give me some good C&C. :)

(My watermark isn't on the finished cover, I used LR to down size the file to post here and forgot to uncheck the watermark box.) :BangHead:

Book cover #1 (done).jpg

I don't really have anything to say about the composite but the font is terrible. Yes I'm a font snob.

I do judge books by their covers, and this one isn't working for me. Quite honestly, I don't get 'chaos' from this at all. I see a nice, empty road leading into what looks like a small orderly town. The sky and the scratches, etc you've added indicate something isn't quite right, but I don't see 'chaos'.

I don't really have anything to say about the composite but the font is terrible. Yes I'm a font snob.

:lol: I know the font is really bad, but I couldn't find out how to do it any better. :( Do you have any ideas?

I do judge books by their covers, and this one isn't working for me. Quite honestly, I don't get 'chaos' from this at all. I see a nice, empty road leading into what looks like a small orderly town. The sky and the scratches, etc you've added indicate something isn't quite right, but I don't see 'chaos'.

I thought about adding some fires, or something, but I didn't want to mess it up. :icon_rolleyes: I may try adding some stuff.
Do you have any ideas on what would make it feel more like "chaos"?

You're not going to like the answer... more chaos! Seriously! Disorder, damage; Think, "Trailer park in hurricane alley on a bad day!"

You just need to choose a different font. Put it in photoshop and scroll through the fonts you have available. Since its for a book cover, you may have to license the font, it just depends. Look at fonts online and find one you like. Font is so terribly important even though it seems insignificant. There are literally fonts that drive people crazy (Comic Sans....big no no)

I've found that people don't like the wingdings font, either.

I've found that people don't like the wingdings font, either.

:biglaugh: No kidding!:biglaugh:

You're not going to like the answer... more chaos! Seriously! Disorder, damage; Think, "Trailer park in hurricane alley on a bad day!"

The plot is world wide power loss. I will try to think of something to give that impression. :)

Wow, I completely agree. Sorry, @FITBMX! But, that font has GOT TO GO!!

Do you have any ideas on what would make it feel more like "chaos"?
Something like this:
View attachment 107168

I hate finding a good font, I stunk at it! :(

You just need to choose a different font. Put it in photoshop and scroll through the fonts you have available. Since its for a book cover, you may have to license the font, it just depends. Look at fonts online and find one you like. Font is so terribly important even though it seems insignificant. There are literally fonts that drive people crazy (Comic Sans....big no no)

I will start looking for a good place for font selection. :)

How is the photo/photoshop work it's self, even though it needs a new font and more chaos! :)

Thank you guys so much for the quick help! :)

The plot is world wide power loss. I will try to think of something to give that impression.

Thinking out loud, what about a dark room with a single candle lit?

How about something with the Battersea Power Station in ruins or on fire?

So your saying I should go light the locale substation on fire, and take a photo of it burning? ;)

I don't like the fake added texture. In addition to what has been said about the font definitely loose the drop shadow on the words. It's way to cheesy.

Most reactions

Back