My first D90 shots, C&C, & a wierd sound coming from my Cam/Lens... Help :)

CrissAwad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What's Up Forum, I finally opened this thread to ask a question (And show you some pics).
First, I noticed this sound coming out of the camera today when i auto focused. It sounded like a click or a knock, something like 2 plastics knocking together. When i put it on manual focus, i still heard this type of sound when i click the sutter release button for a split second and take my finger off, wierd... So what i did is take out the lens (18-55mm kit) and half clicked the shutter release button. I saw the red light when looked into the cam but didn't hear the sound. Next, i closed the F-mount and took the lens alone, shook it abit and heard a similar sound...
This cannot be the motor in the camera now can it? If it is i'll be a very sad person (It's 2 weeks old, never fell, bumped into something or anything. I treat it better than i treat myself). Warranty is for 3 years anyways...
Now while in manual focus (Was trying some water drops, which I'll upload when i have some space on flickr, meaning next month) sometimes i tried getting multiple shots (not in continuous mode since i used the flash and it's a shame that i cannot go over 200th of a sec with the built in flash) and sometimes even if i took my finger all the way off the sutter release, it didn't take the pic, after moving the focus abit, it was fine (Note: this never happened in Autofocus)...
I don't have any other lenses to try and see where the source of teh sound is coming from. 50mm 1.8 coming in christmas though :)
Can someone give me some intup on this? Please...

Now for the pictures :)
Sorry for the links, something is wrong with my pc :(
Please take yo time to look please

1. Alfa Romeo Mito | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
2. Alfa Romeo Julia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
3. Alfa Romeo 75 and 146 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
4. Alfa Romeo 75 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
5. Syrian Oud | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
6. Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
7. Grafitti | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
8. Tel Aviv beaches | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
9. Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Enjoy!

My first guess is that there is an issue with the focusing motor/helicoid in your lens, but that's only a guess.

If it's the lens then my heart is at ease, if it's the Camera motor on the other hand my heart can't take it :)
Thanks for the input, I want to take my buddy's 18-55mm from his D5000 and check it there, also check my lens on his cam...

Anyone else?

No one likes Alfa Romeos?? :(
Any C&C? please

Not much in the way of C&C since I am still noob.

But I LOVE Alfa's :D I had a face lift 156 1.9 JTD last year :D :D

What one is yours?

The D90's in-the-camera focus motor is not used to focus when you have an AF-S lens mounted.

The AF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G lens you have has an internal focus motor, and that motor is used. AF-S lenses have no way for the camera body focus motor screw-drive to drive the lens focus mechanism.

Unless you buy some AF D or other lenses that don't have an internal focus motor, you'll never use the D90's in-the-body focus motor.

The Nikon F-mount ↓ ↓ ↓ :

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following licenses: This work is free software; you can redistribute it or modify it under the terms of the CeCILL. The terms of the CeCILL license are available at www.cecill.info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nikon_D70_img_0725.jpg

800px-Nikon_D70_img_0725.jpg

Note: When the lens release lever is pushed, both the lens locking pin and the screw-drive retract. The 'baby' Nikons don't have the screw-drive.
AF-S lenses have a blind hole the screw-drive sits in. Lenses that use the screw-drive have a slotted receiver to connect the in-the-body screw-drive to the lens focus mechanism.

Last edited:
Not much in the way of C&C since I am still noob.

But I LOVE Alfa's :D I had a face lift 156 1.9 JTD last year :D :D

What one is yours?

None is mine actually, I kind of chase car meetings all over here...
Although I'm a big fan of alfas; mostly the 156, 146, 164 and the Mito.. Lately I've been leaning towards the Alfa 75 (Hot stuff) and the 159 (Murder IMO), so basically yeah, all alfas :D
My future car (no car ATM) will be either an Mk3 Golf or an MK2 golf Dropped, with some lips scratching the floor :)

The D90's in-the-camera focus motor is not used to focus when you have an AF-S lens mounted.

The AF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G lens you have has an internal focus motor, and that motor is used. AF-S lenses have no way for the camera body focus motor screw-drive to drive the lens focus mechanism.

Unless you buy some AF D or other lenses that don't have an internal focus motor, you'll never use the D90's in-the-body focus motor.

You, sir, are my saviour. This is the kind of answer I was hoping for, since it seems that the problem is form the focus, only when i touch the shutter release button slightly. My heart is indeed at ease. Thank you very much.

Edit:
Kieth, you're the man, mang...
I saw the pic, i get it. The Camera focusing Motor won't work with any AF-S lens. Plus i heard the sound while shaking and i checked the shutter release while the lens was not mounted on. Next is checking it with my buddy's D5000 18-55mm lens and see the verdict. Altough I'm pretty sure it isn't the Camera itself...
Do you suggest that i get it fixed? or just be it?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back