My First DSLR.. help please?

Look into a used Canon 20D before you reconsider the 400D again. If you go Nikon, a D70 or D50 would be best for the money. And the Pentax should be nice as well. I recommend going to a store and playing with everything first though.

Took the words out of my mouth...

I *personally* would stay away from the Nikon 40-series... for reasons that they dont support Auto Focus on ALL their lens line... but a D50 or D70 will and you can find them still around new in some places or even get used for a VERY good price...

As per the Canon G7... its VERY capable... I just bought one (and am selling my Canon Pro-1) to have a compact camera in the truck and bike all the time... and it takes great shots..
Example completely unprocessed (not even sharpened):
http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/3/2007_04_21-R01.jpg

Recently I bought a Nikon D50, a real gem of a camera, for $400.00 refurbished at Adorama. It's a great little camera, and I just ordered my 50mm 1.8 lens!

I played with the D40, and even the Pentax and Canons in the 500-600 dollar price range and I wasn't happy with them. The d50 felt a bit more solid, and (compared to the D40) I liked having the TOP LCD to look for basic exposure information, rather than always referring to the screen that my nose rests against (and surely gets oily) when I am taking a picture.

The D50 has been discontinued, but will be supported for a lifetime from what I can tell. It can use the older lenses, such as the 50mm I spoke of above, because it has it's OWN internal focusing motor rather than limiting you to the special digital lens (read:expensive) that the D40 makes you use.

HOWEVER, all that said, I would HONESTLY recommend a Canon Powershot A-series. Everyone on this board is tired of me saying so, but EVERY shot with the exception of the first 5 on my site (www.flickr.com/photos/rmthompson) was taken with a Canon A610 5mp camera. I'm not saying I am some amazing photog, but I think the shots are decent, and I got paid to take several of them.

The Canon A610 (the A630 is it's big brother) is a little older, but has a complete manual mode (not focus) so I can have complete control over my photos. In fact I credit it (and this board) for teaching me aperature, and learning the effect f-stops and shutter speed has on my picture taking it. I would be hard pressed to have learned my D50 without learning that little point and shoot first.

The simple fact is that ANY DSLR might be too much for what you need. There is a myth that they take better pictures, but the truth is they just allow you access to special lenses, and manual focus, that you cant get on a point and shoot style camera.

Well I've rambled on (and used too many parentheses), but I know what you're feeling, I've recently made a tough decision yourself.... but remember no matter WHAT camera you choose (seriously) you can take decent pictures with it, and more importantly, the people on this board will show you how.

I'm not sure about buying a used camera... I mean I know the price would drop significantly but I'd rather know that if anything goes wrong I have noone but the shop/manufacturer to blame and I can take it back/get a refund. I'm aware opportunities like this exist for used cameras but I feel safer buying new.

So would you guys not hesistate in buying that Pentax? I have yet to try it out properly, but if I like it, would you advise it, taking into account Pentax quality, reliability, and the Pentax "system"?

I'm kinda looking for a decent excuse to get it because the price is right.

Would the Canon EOS and Nikon D40 be THAT much better and is it worth shelling out much more on them, taking into account how much better they are?

Thanks.

Recently I bought a Nikon D50, a real gem of a camera, for $400.00 refurbished at Adorama. It's a great little camera, and I just ordered my 50mm 1.8 lens!

I played with the D40, and even the Pentax and Canons in the 500-600 dollar price range and I wasn't happy with them. The d50 felt a bit more solid, and (compared to the D40) I liked having the TOP LCD to look for basic exposure information, rather than always referring to the screen that my nose rests against (and surely gets oily) when I am taking a picture.

The D50 has been discontinued, but will be supported for a lifetime from what I can tell. It can use the older lenses, such as the 50mm I spoke of above, because it has it's OWN internal focusing motor rather than limiting you to the special digital lens (read:expensive) that the D40 makes you use.

HOWEVER, all that said, I would HONESTLY recommend a Canon Powershot A-series. Everyone on this board is tired of me saying so, but EVERY shot with the exception of the first 5 on my site (www.flickr.com/photos/rmthompson) was taken with a Canon A610 5mp camera. I'm not saying I am some amazing photog, but I think the shots are decent, and I got paid to take several of them.

The Canon A610 (the A630 is it's big brother) is a little older, but has a complete manual mode (not focus) so I can have complete control over my photos. In fact I credit it (and this board) for teaching me aperature, and learning the effect f-stops and shutter speed has on my picture taking it. I would be hard pressed to have learned my D50 without learning that little point and shoot first.

The simple fact is that ANY DSLR might be too much for what you need. There is a myth that they take better pictures, but the truth is they just allow you access to special lenses, and manual focus, that you cant get on a point and shoot style camera.

Well I've rambled on (and used too many parentheses), but I know what you're feeling, I've recently made a tough decision yourself.... but remember no matter WHAT camera you choose (seriously) you can take decent pictures with it, and more importantly, the people on this board will show you how.

DSLRs also give you better manual controls weather or not the P&S has manual, better control of DOF (compacts have huge depths of field due to small image sensors allowing for small apertures and fast shutter speeds, and DSLRs have WAYYYYYY better noise control.

I almost got the Pentax myself, only reason I didn't is that I fell for the Canon and Nikon is superior bug, and my friend let me play with his rebel and got used to it. I am happy with my decision, but that is because with an adapter I can use the lenses I inherited from my grandfather (FD lenses in sig) but other than that, either camera itself would be great with me.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Canon A6 series and much the same about the 'A7' series so by all means if one of those will suit you go for it.

The thing I was talking about is that with a DSLR you can use a macro lens for that nice little bug on the flower to a 300mm or 400mm telephoto lens and catch the gleam in that eagle's eye in about 20 seconds. You can also use extension tubes to go really small should you want to catch the gleam in the bug's eye.

As RM said a Nikon D50 would be a good choice or a D70 for that matter, both will be supported for a long time by Nikon. As a matter of fact, you can buy a non-operational one and then have it rebuilt by Nikon for under $300 should the body be in good shape.

Any way, another couple of cents :)

mike

So would you guys not hesistate in buying that Pentax? I have yet to try it out properly, but if I like it, would you advise it, taking into account Pentax quality, reliability, and the Pentax "system"?

I'm kinda looking for a decent excuse to get it because the price is right.

Would the Canon EOS and Nikon D40 be THAT much better and is it worth shelling out much more on them, taking into account how much better they are?

It would be mad to have no hesitation before making such an investment with any camera. Having said that, I personally would feel confident recommending the Pentax... the quality and reliability of the equipment, comparing like for like, is just as good as any other brand, and personally I think it's a very good system. That's just my opinion. As you can see, other folks have reservations about the system - they're not wrong, just different opinions. So I would not 'advise' that you buy the Pentax, or advise that you buy anything else - I would only advise that you seriously consider all the options.

As for which camera would be better... answer is none. That probably sounds silly. But each is a very capable and well featured camera. The 400D has better specs, for example 10mp where the Pentax and Nikon both have a 6mp sensor, but then it's a question of whether you consider that difference really important (I don't). The Nikon and Pentax use the same sensor and probably produce virtually the same images. The Canon 400D is more recent technology, the K100D and the D40 are the same basic technology with some differences in feature and design. The 400D may be "more" camera than either of the other two, but whether it has enough to justify the extra cost, I can't make that decision for you.

*caugh* sony a100 *caugh*

OK, I've been doing some thinking and I've come to the conclusion that the Nikon D40X and Canon EOS are out of my price range. At this stage, I'm not willing to spend that much on a camera.

Now, I'm only really considering the Pentax K100D and the Nikon D40. The Pentax I have found slightly cheaper at a store near me, but the Nikon is only £40/$80 more, and it does seem like a slightly better camera. Also, I'm no expert but it seems to me that the fact that Nikon is the 2nd largest DSLR seller, the system will be stronger and more used lenses and other items will be available for purchase.

What do you guys think about that? ^ Nikon a better buy than the Pentax?

-pm63

Hi, me again. If you are wanting to use 'used' lenses than the D40 is going to limit you somewhat because of the lack of the in camera focus motor. Try checking Nikon to see what a rebuild would cost you on a D40/D70.

Also, give a hard look at a D50/70 without too many shutter clicks. Or one that is physically in good shape but in need of repair and send it in. If you have it worked on at Nikon then it should be as good as new after they've finished.

[To consider- there are still new in box D50s about and even a few D70s's for much the same money as the D40 and may still have a 1 year warranty.]

If you Really don't want a used camera (and can't find/afford a Nikon/Canon) but do want to go with used lenses then Pentax is probably your best bet.

mike

Now, I'm only really considering the Pentax K100D and the Nikon D40. The Pentax I have found slightly cheaper at a store near me, but the Nikon is only £40/$80 more, and it does seem like a slightly better camera. Also, I'm no expert but it seems to me that the fact that Nikon is the 2nd largest DSLR seller, the system will be stronger and more used lenses and other items will be available for purchase.

What do you guys think about that? ^ Nikon a better buy than the Pentax?

-pm63

Depending on what Nickon you go for, you may not have as many compatible lenses - basically, avoid the D40 or D40X if you want compatability. I've got a D40X and love it to bits - but until more AFS lenses come out, i'm restricted ( bear in mind the AFS lenses are very nice ) - I'm fine with that, but if you're thinking of either of those cameras, you may not be happy with the compatability issue.

But yes ! Go with Nickon ! :D

Now I'm completely confused :(

I'm stuck between D40, D40 and K100D. Comparison chart

The D40 is up-to-date, more features than the D50, but with not much choice when it comes to autofocus lenses.

The D50 is slightly older, only £50 more but takes amazing photos and allows me a bigger range of lenses.

The Pentax is very cheap, many features BUT takes worse photos than the Nikons from what I can see.

D40 gallery | D50 gallery | K100D gallery (worse?)

Also, with the Pentax I can borrow my friend's lenses (he has macro and telephoto ones) but is this worth sacrificing for image quality??

Also, am I right in thinking that having access to a friend's lenses won't make much of a difference if I can only use them when I'm with him? I can't borrow them or take them on holiday for example, and I think I could get fed up and one way or another, I will have to end up buying extra lenses for myself.

Is this, and the extra Pentax features such as the Shake Reduction and more ISOs, worth sacrificing image quality for? It seems quite clear to me that the Nikons have better image quality.

This is a very difficult descision. :(

Despite what Nikon fans say, the old Nikon lenses can have limited compatibility with new Nikon cameras. I considered a Nikon until looking at DPreview and reading about the D60 camera. It listed at least three different types of Nikon lenses with notes about what features did or didn't work with each series. Sure the lens will fit onto the camera, but all the features might not work right. Heard the same thing from the local Camera store where the owner is a Nikon user and lamented the "sort of" compatibility with Nikon's old lenses. I decided it would be too complicated to figure out which Nikon lenses would work with which Nikon camera. Obviously if buying new lenses its not an issue.
Contrast with my first Canon lens, and EF 50mm f1.8 that per the serial number was made in 1985 and still is 100% compatible (not just fits on the camera) with new EOS camera from the lowly Rebels to the 1D Mark IV.
Nikon's have other benefits that make them popular with pros and amatuers. But don't believe the backward compatibilty -some are compatible some aren't.

Most reactions

Back