My first DSLR, who are you?

Jace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, after threatening my wife with sex, she has agreed to let me spend around 1k on a camera. To that end, I come here to ye gods of the photogs, in search of advice and such.

As I said in the title this will be my first DSLR, coming up from a PSx20is. I'm not sure if I want to buy a new(er) camera with lens for around a thousand, or buy a slightly older, but still awesome, camera and a few lenses, maybe a flash (used of course).

Your thoughts and suggestions will warm my heart and help fill this hole in my soul.

Oh, and I'd rather not get simply a starter camera, like the lower end rebel xs I believe it is.

Thanks! It's like that guy's inside my head...

Think I'll go check out some specs on the D90. And by specs I mean prices.

Think I'll go check out some specs on the D90.

You could easily find a D90 second or first hand for a good price and then you'll have some left over for a few lenses.

I believe the Pentax K7 is a solid option as well. The price has dropped significantly with the K5 intro, and there are some very fine legacy lenses that all work on this body, available for a good price. Here is a dpreview comparo of the K7 and the D300s.

Yeah, finding a lot of similar threads, they just get buried easily, lol.

And I'm still lost. My main concern right now though is lenses, which is a better buy. For instance, in one shopping cart I have:

Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens $129.95
and
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Lens (BIM) (for Nikon Cameras) with Case + Cleaning Kit
show kit contents
$164.95

Yet I would still need something for 18-50, correct?

Sigh. If I eat one of you pro-guys' brains, will I gain the power to decide?

No ... just a bad taste in your mouth.

We play the same mental game when buying hardware.

Keep in mind, shopping for lenses strictly by price isn't necessarily a good thing.

Define better buy?

If you want to get a full range of focal lengths (lenses) with a DSLR ... you are going to have to drop the price of the camera body.

What I mean by better buy is basically value for the money. Like, if I'm spending 650 on the body, I want to try for the best lens(es) I can with the remaining 400 or so. I'm guessing I would need one 18-55 and one 55-??? right?

To be a bit more specific, I want this camera and lenses to be able to hold its own when taking photos of kids, moving and not, weddings for friends, still life and some wildlife. Hell, I wouldn't mind making money off it one day in order to upgrade to another.

The cheap lenses tend to be slow and rule out taking (nice) pictures of moving children, animals, and weddings in lower light circumstances. I would spend more on one nicer faster lens, than try to buy a full kit for few dollars. This is what I learned after replacing all the crap glass I bought up front, only to replace it within a year, because I was never happy with the image quality, which was due to the lenses, and not the camera body.

So, I guess it depends on what you call "value".

Such wise advice, it should be etched in stone.

The cheap lenses tend to be slow and rule out taking (nice) pictures of moving children, animals, and weddings in lower light circumstances. I would spend more on one nicer faster lens, than try to buy a full kit for few dollars. This is what I learned after replacing all the crap glass I bought up front, only to replace it within a year, because I was never happy with the image quality, which was due to the lenses, and not the camera body.

So, I guess it depends on what you call "value".

It all depends on what you like to shoot as well.

I have a 35mm f2 i picked up for 130 out the door, which is sharp as a tack. I would honestly recommend against new lenses, and go for the used ones. Generally they are similar quality with 200-300 dollars knocked off the price.

Keep in mind what you like to shoot, not what you think needs to fill up a camera bag. I could spend money on a telephoto lens but it would not get any work, simply because I dont need to get into the face of things.

Most reactions

Back