My first ever lightning shots

Tim Tucker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good storms are rare in Scotland, and I didn't bother on film because I didn't really know how. But the shoot, check, adjust of digital, how can you resist? Even then most storms in Scotland are a couple of flashes and an extra rumble just when you give up and put the camera away.
Except for last night...

Last edited:
Love the first one. Did you alter the color in these?

Love the first one. Did you alter the color in these?

This is actually a very difficult question to answer, and the answer I have to give is, I don't know.
The problem is at night it is dark and there is no colour, then comes a blinding flash of light that appears white because your eye has no time to adjust to it. You can't really even rely one the auto white balance as that may be fooled.
What I have is no visual reference or memory of how it should look, so what I did was to take the white balance the camera used and adjust it to something slightly more neutral, slightly cooler and less saturated. The original raw file for the first one shows far more magenta for example.
Thanks for the comment, the first is by far my best. However I must give the credit to mother nature as she provided the show. All I did was point the camera and cross my fingers. :)

Very nice1 Would love to try this too, but this kind of weather is almost none existent here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back