My First ever photo with SLR

dano1975

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC00057.jpg

Last edited:
Alright photo but the clown fish is too centered. Amazingly sharp though. What equipment was used.

Thanks for being someone who didn't just choose a random photo that wasn't that great and upload it to show us. At least this one is actually interesting

~Michael~

using sony a200 this picture is from my own tank been using it to practice.
thanks for your comments

Now that is a great start! Which lens? Are you pressing it to the glass? Just curious...

Derrick

Such sarcasm from folks is what keeps alot of people from posting on this site.
More like, taking the internet seriously. I'm not saying that people here arn't smart, it's just that people don't care when they don't know whoever looks at their post. Point is, don't take the internet to heart, whether you like it or not, it's going to be a rough place. And by the way, I think that his comment is justified.

First, to Dano- congrats on the cam and the pic! BTW, I love clowns, and fish tanks are not always easy to photograph, so you should be proud that you managed to get a shot of that little devil that came out. :)

That being said, I disagree with ifly... the shot looks like it's not that sharp, and the composition isn't really that interesting. A pic of a fish- whoopee! But so what? I say this only because I think you should keep cranking at it and try to get better pics. As I said, tanks can be challenging.

Keep at it!

I'd actually like to hear more of what you wind up with for a process. I don't currently have a tank and a buddy is really struggling taking pictures of his. He thinks its the kind of light he has. I have no idea. :lol:

This is the "first ever shot taken with an SLR" of dano, newby to our forums, and given that fact, and the fact that the little fish was a) taken through glass, b) is in focus and c) the background disappears into a nice blur, this one IS a good photo to begin with! It might "only" be a fish, and yes, it might be centred, but don't you think that when someone's first using an SLR, thoughts of the "rule of thirds" are at the top of their "things-I-must-observe"-list?

And Michael (iflynething) is actually praising this photo as a well-chosen beginner's photo, one that shows that the beginner to using SLRs (beginner to photography, too, Dano?) has planned his photo and chosen a delightful one for web-presentation, and not just any first pic (my first pic with my 350D was a candle in a Christmas arrangement, and the world would NEVER EVER have got to see that first test shot!!!).

Actually, I just remembered that my first photo with my D40 was of my fish too! Except I don't have the luxury of owning a salt water tank and thus not having awesome looking fish.

(my first pic with my 350D was a candle in a Christmas arrangement, and the world would NEVER EVER have got to see that first test shot!!!).

can we see it now?
or did you take precuations and delete it?
I think mine was of my dorm room..........................

And as for tank shooting and light, reflections are a pain with glass, one thing that can help a lot is a polarizer, though of course then you have to adjust your lighting (increase it) to counter the polarizers reduction in light entering the camera.
Good to have you on the site dano - hope to see more of your work!

This is the "first ever shot taken with an SLR" of dano, newby to our forums, and given that fact, and the fact that the little fish was a) taken through glass, b) is in focus and c) the background disappears into a nice blur, this one IS a good photo to begin with! It might "only" be a fish, and yes, it might be centred, but don't you think that when someone's first using an SLR, thoughts of the "rule of thirds" are at the top of their "things-I-must-observe"-list?

And Michael (iflynething) is actually praising this photo as a well-chosen beginner's photo, one that shows that the beginner to using SLRs (beginner to photography, too, Dano?) has planned his photo and chosen a delightful one for web-presentation, and not just any first pic (my first pic with my 350D was a candle in a Christmas arrangement, and the world would NEVER EVER have got to see that first test shot!!!).

I was hoping I was clear in my post, but probably not.

I really wasn't picking on OP, I just felt the response by ifly was a little overenthusiastic and setting the bar a hair too low. There's nothing wrong with the shot... it's just not a work of fine art, which is totally fine. :)

My first test shots were of the ceiling fan in the kitchen. :)

(my first pic with my 350D was a candle in a Christmas arrangement, and the world would NEVER EVER have got to see that first test shot!!!).
My first test shots were of the ceiling fan in the kitchen. :)
I don't yet have a dSLR, but I have been doing the photography thing since before the beginning of the year using more than just Auto on a P&S. I can't wait to get a dSLR. I am going to make a "my first shot with dSLR" post and put up the most horrifically overexposed, crooked, blurry, poorly composed, and boring ordinary subject as I can and ask for opinions.

This way, the following day I can post an actual shot and ask if I've improved any. I will look like a photography king! :hail:

:D

I don't yet have a dSLR, but I have been doing the photography thing since before the beginning of the year using more than just Auto on a P&S. I can't wait to get a dSLR. I am going to make a "my first shot with dSLR" post and put up the most horrifically overexposed, crooked, blurry, poorly composed, and boring ordinary subject as I can and ask for opinions.

This way, the following day I can post an actual shot and ask if I've improved any. I will look like a photography king! :hail:

:D

Sweet, can you point me to that post so I can be completely unfair and bash you for your massively poor photography skillz???!?!?!

(If anyone reading this doesn't realize I'm kidding and picking on myself at the same time, you need a reality check.) :lol:

Damn this thread, every time I open it I see that cute little clown and am like "ooo! ooo! I should setup my marine tank again!!! SO CUTE!!!"

NO! BAD CHRIS! BAD!!!

thanks for all your comments i'll try to make my next photo i little more creative. has any one got any tips on what i should practice on ive taken quiet a few of tank and dont seem to have a problem with pics coming out but would like some advice on what good to start off on

Most reactions

Back