My first experience with Nikon Service Centre

CaptainNapalm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wanted to share a great experience with Nikon Service. I bought a new Nikon D600 about three months ago. Shortly after the purchase I dropped it by accident from shoulder height resulting in some cosmetic damage to the side grip which I learned to live with. Three weeks ago I was shooting with the camera all day and all of a sudden the camera just stopped taking photos, seemed like the shutter went. I dropped the camera off at the Nikon Service Centre in Mississauga and explained that the camera just stopped taking pictures without warning. They took the camera and told me that it will take approximately two weeks to have it fixed. A half hour after dropping it off I got an email informing me that the repair to the damaged aperture mechanism would be replaced under warranty therefore no cost to me, which was expected. A week later I get a courtesy call from Nikon informing me that there is no wait for parts and that the repair is going according to schedule. This was an unexpected nice touch as I was wondering about the camera. Today, a couple of days in advance of anticipated pick up date, I got a call from Nikon that the camera is ready for pick up. I pick up the camera and with it Nikon gives me a decent Nikon t-shirt and a free cleaning cloth, OK no big deal but still nice. After inspecting the camera in my car I learn that they not only replaced the broken aperture mechanism but also fully replaced the hand grip. In addition, they cleaned the camera on the outside as it was rather dirty dropping it off and cleaned the sensor. I was extremely impressed that they would replace the hand grip for me after I told them that it was my fault and I banged it up on the camera so obviously this was not an obligation for them to do so, but they still did it. Overall, I'm very happy with the experience.

Just wanted to share a great experience with Nikon Service.

I bought a new Nikon D600 about three months ago. Shortly after the purchase I dropped it by accident from shoulder height resulting in some cosmetic damage to the side grip which I learned to live with.

Three weeks ago I was shooting with the camera all day and all of a sudden the camera just stopped taking photos, seemed like the shutter went.

I dropped the camera off at the Nikon Service Centre in Mississauga and explained that the camera just stopped taking pictures without warning. They took the camera and told me that it will take approximately two weeks to have it fixed. A half hour after dropping it off I got an email informing me that the repair to the damaged aperture mechanism would be replaced under warranty therefore no cost to me, which was expected. A week later I get a courtesy call from Nikon informing me that there is no wait for parts and that the repair is going according to schedule. This was an unexpected nice touch as I was wondering about the camera.

Today, a couple of days in advance of anticipated pick up date, I got a call from Nikon that the camera is ready for pick up. I pick up the camera and with it Nikon gives me a decent Nikon t-shirt and a free cleaning cloth, OK no big deal but still nice.

After inspecting the camera in my car I learn that they not only replaced the broken aperture mechanism but also fully replaced the hand grip. In addition, they cleaned the camera on the outside as it was rather dirty dropping it off and cleaned the sensor. I was extremely impressed that they would replace the hand grip for me after I told them that it was my fault and I banged it up on the camera so obviously this was not an obligation for them to do so, but they still did it.

Overall, I'm very happy with the experience.
FIFY.

It's nice to hear about a good service experience. Most people only take the time to inform about a bad experience.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share a great experience with Nikon Service.

I bought a new Nikon D600 about three months ago. Shortly after the purchase I dropped it by accident from shoulder height resulting in some cosmetic damage to the side grip which I learned to live with.

Three weeks ago I was shooting with the camera all day and all of a sudden the camera just stopped taking photos, seemed like the shutter went.

I dropped the camera off at the Nikon Service Centre in Mississauga and explained that the camera just stopped taking pictures without warning. They took the camera and told me that it will take approximately two weeks to have it fixed. A half hour after dropping it off I got an email informing me that the repair to the damaged aperture mechanism would be replaced under warranty therefore no cost to me, which was expected. A week later I get a courtesy call from Nikon informing me that there is no wait for parts and that the repair is going according to schedule. This was an unexpected nice touch as I was wondering about the camera.

Today, a couple of days in advance of anticipated pick up date, I got a call from Nikon that the camera is ready for pick up. I pick up the camera and with it Nikon gives me a decent Nikon t-shirt and a free cleaning cloth, OK no big deal but still nice.

After inspecting the camera in my car I learn that they not only replaced the broken aperture mechanism but also fully replaced the hand grip. In addition, they cleaned the camera on the outside as it was rather dirty dropping it off and cleaned the sensor. I was extremely impressed that they would replace the hand grip for me after I told them that it was my fault and I banged it up on the camera so obviously this was not an obligation for them to do so, but they still did it.

Overall, I'm very happy with the experience.
FIFY.

It's nice to here about a good service experience. Most people only take the time to inform about a bad experience.

thanks!

This is great news. I'm glad you had a more-than-pleasant (first) experience with Nikon. They wen above and beyond here - how every company should be. Sadly, most companies even forget to call you, or call you days after they realise your pick-up is sitting there taking up their space.

Good job, Nikon. It makes me proud to be a Nikon gearhead, despite all the **** people are saying about the company now and lack of R&D for consumers' demands (like a D400 - get over it people).

This is great news. I'm glad you had a more-than-pleasant (first) experience with Nikon. They wen above and beyond here - how every company should be. Sadly, most companies even forget to call you, or call you days after they realise your pick-up is sitting there taking up their space.

Good job, Nikon. It makes me proud to be a Nikon gearhead, despite all the **** people are saying about the company now and lack of R&D for consumers' demands (like a D400 - get over it people).

Yeah I was a bit worried after I dropped off my gear there because of quite a few complaints about people being mistreated by Nikon service centres. I figured most people only post when they have a bad experience so I thought I'd post a good one for a change.

Been going there a long time and can say what's highly variable is the quality of the staff on the service desk: pleasant, rude, dim, distracted, helpful. misinformed, or bored by turns. The constant is the dedication of the tech crew who always deliver.

Been going there a long time and can say what's highly variable is the quality of the staff on the service desk: pleasant, rude, dim, distracted, helpful. misinformed, or bored by turns. The constant is the dedication of the tech crew who always deliver.

Good to know

PLEASE write or email a letter to a top executive reinforcing that it was appreciated and confirms your decision to be a Nikon photographer...or such. if a company knows this word is spread thru the community, maybe it reiterates great service is appreciated, expected..
Just a thought,
Nancy

Great experience at the Mississauga centre as well. Bought used 3 years old D3100 with orginal receipt at a great price because seller did not want to go through warranty process, body in great shape but the kit lens is not working right, centre replaced it under warranty and free shipping both ways too.

PLEASE write or email a letter to a top executive reinforcing that it was appreciated and confirms your decision to be a Nikon photographer...or such. if a company knows this word is spread thru the community, maybe it reiterates great service is appreciated, expected..
Just a thought,
Nancy

Hmm. I agree. If you say this news has now spread like wildfire and that it's the absolute minimum for quality of service, maybe everyone will experience what you did more often, and maybe they'll actually have front desk people who care about the company and not just working so they can get their benefits and a paycheque.

Most reactions

Back