What's new

My first few from a new camera

iamcombat

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 17, 2010
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri, U.S.A.
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Shot with a Pentax K-x with kit lens. Hoping to get a new lens or two soon. A note on the first photo. I accidentally had it set to shoot as JPEG and my white balance was set to tungsten...so it turned out really blue. I tried to fix it as best as I could in photoshop but I still think it has too much of a blue tint to it....but enjoy anyways. C&C if you wish.

e86d247e52e8a37b1cf1f815fad782ca.jpg


9248ca026eed22fe7de989af3c533f7c.jpg


Old_Sign_by_i_am_combat.jpg
 
Nothing on these? I'd even go for a "wow these are terrible...fix this...this and this"
 
To be honest, the first one is just kinda blah. There's nothing in it that really stands out. The horizon is dead center. You usually (not always) don't want the horizon in the center of the frame. Pick what part of the frame is your main subject (sky or foreground) and make that take up around 2/3 of the frame. This is an aspect of what you'll hear referred to as the Rule of Thirds. The lighting off the rocks is pretty harsh, and this is likely due to the time of day when it was shot. Most higher end landscape photographers only shoot about 4 hours a day. 2 hours around sunrise, and 2 hours around sunset. This is because of the warmness of the light, and the angle of the light. I've mentioned this before, but a good landscape is an interesting object with a pretty background. Here's a random landscape photographer's website I found. Go look through his stuff, and search for your own to see what I mean.

I actually kinda like the last two, especially the last one. I think there's too much dead space in the second one, but it's still interesting. #3 I think is your strongest. There's lines that guide you through the frame, and you can tell there's a story somewhere in the shot.
 
Thanks for the C&C much appreciated! I know about the rule of thirds...even though it's something I rarely follow...maybe I need to change the way I shoot. The reason I composed the first one the way I did is because I wanted to keep the rocks in the shot but they were only at the edge of the lake so I couldn't really aim up any further. Will keep your suggestion in mind...I can easily go back and reshoot which I will probably do with the correct WB this next time :)
 
The first picture just doesn't have anything interesting in it. It's like a poem with no subject. If you had been lucky that day and the sky had thicker, heavier clouds in the top third, you might have ended up with a picture that had four different "subjects" or textures. That would have been more interesting.

Second one doesn't do much for me because it's a random street shot.

Third one is interesting, but I think there is too much competing for my attention; it's hard to know where to focus. I think all of these pictures suffer from not having a clear and compelling subject.

Best advice I could give is to just simplify your pictures. Include a clear subject and a compositional rule (i.e., Line, Shape, etc.)
 
Ya the first one is meh, but I dig number 2. I like the way the angle carried you through the street. I would have liked to have seen more fence line angle I think in 3 to have the same effect. But thats just my 2cp.
 
I find the first one not so bad because of the white rocks.
 
Much has been said about 1 & 2.

I like 3, but I would have liked to have seen the sign maybe from the otherside so the limbs were not in front of the sign and of course, take the pipe out of the picture and shoot it separate.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom