My first few rolls, any feedback is appreciated

PLGRM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently acquired an old Canon and took it on my travels. Aside from the little bit of photography I did years ago in high school, these are some of my first shots. I'd really appreciate any feedback and criticism.

1)
72720001.JPG

2)
72720005.JPG

3)
72720018.JPG

4)
72720019.JPG

5)
72720025.JPG

6)
72720026.JPG

7)
72710025.JPG

8)
28_24A.jpg

9)
25_21A.jpg

10)
16_12A.jpg

11)
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fQpjThE7bPUi87tHumy3cA?feat=directlink
08_4A.jpg

12)
R1-08182-003A.jpg

13)
R1-08182-004A.jpg

14)
R1-08181-0018.jpg

Last edited:
Your feedback will be limited bc no one is going to want to click on your links. Also, there are way too many pics to provide c&c on. Try uploading one or two directly to the forum. I looked at pics 1-7. They all seem like snapshots, not very interesting at all. But I am a noob so take that with a grain of salt.

Sorry about the links, I can't seem to get the uploader to work. As for snapshots, what do you mean exactly? Poor subject? Composition? Exposure?

Sorry about the links, I can't seem to get the uploader to work. As for snapshots, what do you mean exactly? Poor subject? Composition? Exposure?

I looked at all of them, I would say all 3 of the things you have listed.

Actually 12 isn't too bad, from a photo journalist type of photo. Could have been better though.

I actually kind of like these, except a handful are way underexposed. A few of them have a really nice vibe to them and I can see where you were going with your ideas.

I like them as well but I have a soft spot for film.

There are a few that I don't care for, but overall I'd say you're off to a decent start.

I do feel that the scan quality could use some work though... Are you scanning these (if so - from a print, or from the negative?), or are these images from a CD from the lab?

BTW - Which films did you use for these?

PLGRM said:

It's ok, I had trouble with uploading them originally also. I just figured I would tell you before the pros did. Lol. In some of them it looked like there was a finger or something in the corner. By snapshot I mean it kind of looks like you walked around your house and took pics of people just sitting around or doing random things. But again, I didn't look at all of them and I am a noob so I may be totally off. I intentionally didn't mention anything about composition, exposure, etc bc I am still learning those things myself. The more you post and the more you read you will learn a lot just from people on the forum. Keep practicing and most importantly, have fun!

Fixed the links. Thanks for the feedback. I assume the underexposed ones you are talking about are mainly the black and whites?

I like them ... mostly because they are different from the norm.

I assume that you purposely multiple exposed, de-focused, under-exposed ... etc. to get those effects to be produced.

It is nice to see a photographer that wants to go in a different direction.

There are a few that I don't care for, but overall I'd say you're off to a decent start.

I do feel that the scan quality could use some work though... Are you scanning these (if so - from a print, or from the negative?), or are these images from a CD from the lab?

BTW - Which films did you use for these?

These are all from a lab CD, I'm working on getting my own negative scanner. I'm quite sure all the b&ws are Kodak 400 and the colors are Fuji 400.

With film you should pay closer attention to it's characteristics ... unlike a Digital SLR, you can really change the characteristics of your image by the film that you use.

I like them ... mostly because they are different from the norm.

I assume that you purposely multiple exposed, de-focused, under-exposed ... etc. to get those effects to be produced.

It is nice to see a photographer that wants to go in a different direction.

The double exposures are all intended, as is the focusing. The main thing I feel I need practice on is exposure.

With film you should pay closer attention to it's characteristics ... unlike a Digital SLR, you can really change the characteristics of your image by the film that you use.

I'd really like to play around with different film. I like the graininess to a degree, but I'd like to experiment with slower film as well. I've also heard that high speed Fuji "recording film" or something is really good to work with, any comments on this?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back