My first heron - I think

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Far from perfect I know.He was really so far off and there was no way to get closer.I am just happy I get a photo of one and get to see one in the real world.I was so excited I almost fell in the water when I tripped over a tree stump.

Attachments

• $DSC_0001.jpg
    $DSC_0001.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 179
Definitely a Heron but I can't tell what. Great Blue Heron perhaps but I'm not sure. Once you get the first one they become easier so get us some good shots now ;)

Good that you finally got one! Now get closer on a cloudy day! ;)

Definitely a Heron but I can't tell what. Great Blue Heron perhaps but I'm not sure. Once you get the first one they become easier so get us some good shots now ;)
So hard to tell from pictures in books as they alway seem different in color variation,I guess depending location.

This is a Great Blue Heron and they are the most common large Heron in the USA. The yellow eye looks right, as does the furry part of its mouth below the bill. The black line running back from the middle of the eye doesn't look right though. You saw it, is this what it looked like?

2013-02-16-12.jpg

Congratulations on your first great blue heron

This is a Great Blue Heron and they are the most common large Heron in the USA. The yellow eye looks right, as does the furry part of its mouth below the bill. The black line running back from the middle of the eye doesn't look right though. You saw it, is this what it looked like?

2013-02-16-12.jpg
Beautiful. On my shot Considering the shot was over 100 yards more like 150 give or take, I couldn't see much of anything.LOL

Last edited:
Thanks! The picture sucks I know.If there was a way to get to the other side of the lake I would have walked close.In this case I would have to swim across.

It looks like you got a juvenile. Congrats on getting your first!

Thanks! The picture sucks I know.If there was a way to get to the other side of the lake I would have walked close.In this case I would have to swim across.

One day the right one will walk right in front of you and you will be click happy :)

Great Blue Heron by DNK Photos, on Flickr
I like your work,you have skill.Someday I hope to be there.I will not give up though.

Try wherever people go to fish: Everything hangs out there, hoping (begging) to catch the clean-out. If there's a good spot, you can shoot right past the people, so no bunch of grizzled old fishermen in your frame.

Interesting pose, but nice shot. I personally HATE them! They seem to find a way threw my boobie traps every few years and clean out my pond. :grumpy:

Interesting pose, but nice shot. I personally HATE them! They seem to find a way threw my boobie traps every few years and clean out my pond. :grumpy:
You have a fish pond? Thats's very cool.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back