Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
jun2subu004crweb-vi.jpg

Feel free!

Oh dear.
His head's cut off.
Yet you left him so much collar.
It's a pity to see his head cut off. He looks friendly enough - I'm sure he's GOT brains..... (;))

Okay. Thanks for that point!

I don't think cropping into the head is itself an issue, but I do agree it's a little drastic here. I tend to use it to get a sense of intimacy, but when in closer and not usually this much. I like everything else. The background is blurred out enough to not be distracting, yet there's enough detail to add to the story, and the lighting works well. There's a little bit of a hot-spot on the nose, but I still like it.

Well done!

markc said:
I don't think cropping into the head is itself an issue, but I do agree it's a little drastic here. I tend to use it to get a sense of intimacy, but when in closer and not usually this much. I like everything else. The background is blurred out enough to not be distracting, yet there's enough detail to add to the story, and the lighting works well. There's a little bit of a hot-spot on the nose, but I still like it.

Well done!

The head cropping was a result of some of the portraits that I've come accross. But I see the point that I should only attempt that when the image is more closed in.

thank you.

It doesn't fly for me. I have issues with the crop. My monitor shows a yellow cast on the complexion. I don't like the background

One of the main things that separates portraits from snapshots is the detail in the eyes. The eyes have to be more than black holes.

Heh. I keep forgetting that my laptop's monitor is messed up. It kills the contrast and lowers the saturation. This shot has a lot, so the monitor made it look softer than it is. Now I see the yellow and the background doesn't work as well as I thought. Sorry.

You've heard the bad points, so I'll throw in some good points. I liked the expressiveness you caught in his eyes and his smile. The shot has a really warm and friendly feel.

I think you did well with the DOF and you made a difficult shot (awful lighting conditions) have a bit of personality.

Keep working on it. I think you're almost there.

Daniel

In addition to what others said about not cutting off the head and dark eyes, I would have done it as a vertical. A single person, whether full body, cut off at the waist, or head shot, always works better as a vertical. Fill the frame and try not to cut off body parts.

The space at the left is wasted and the bright spots from the lights are distracting.

Thanks everyone for the comments

Cheers :)

captain-spanky said:
I actually really like the crop.
I like the whole pic.
:)

hehe...this is funny :)

I like it too Captain :lol:

captain-spanky said:
I actually really like the crop.
I like the whole pic.
:)

hehe...this is funny :)

I like it too Captain :lol:

GilTphoto said:
A single person, whether full body, cut off at the waist, or head shot, always works better as a vertical.
I can't think of a single photo "rule" that's an "always". I can think of quite a few images where this isn't true. I like this one here and think he's got an effective start.

markc said:
GilTphoto said:
A single person, whether full body, cut off at the waist, or head shot, always works better as a vertical.
I can't think of a single photo "rule" that's an "always". I can think of quite a few images where this isn't true. I like this one here and think he's got an effective start.

You mean the horizontal placement or the crop?

Most reactions

Back