My First Macro Attempts With A New Lens: Froggy: Take 2

Cortian

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
27 years ago, when I re-met my wife-to-be, I brought her a piece of custom-made jewellery and she gave me Froggy, in return. Froggy is solid silver, measuring about 1.5cm long by 1cm high. She hand-cast Froggy, herself, from a mold she made.

Sixteen years ago were my first Froggy macro attempts, with my Olympus C-4000Z. I have a better camera, better lens (my new Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Macro F017) and a somewhat better understanding of the exposure triangle. So I was able to do somewhat better:

IMG_4864-crop+awb+shrp.JPG

100% crop. Colour's all out of whack, because I was using whatever I had to hand to get enough light so I could stop down far enough to get reasonable DoF. I was able to correct it some in post, as well as sharpen it up a bit.

And, yeah: Froggy needs a bath :)

Last edited:
You might leave him alone.
May people like the aged look vs. shinny new polished just from the store look.

What settings did you use? Do you have a tripod?

What settings did you use? Do you have a tripod?
Aperture priority with the aperture stopped-down (for DoF) and ISO bumped-up as far as I dared to get the shutter speed fast enough that IS could do its thing well enough.

It was just an ad-hoc thing to see what I could do. More an issue of having this new macro lens and being anxious to play with it than a serious macro photography attempt :)

I have a relatively inexpensive tripod, but it wouldn't have been usable for this shot. That was taken, well, here...

IMG_5242.JPG

There's the little silver frog, perched atop the framed Dilbert cartoon, which sits upon the glass shelf over my desk. You can just see the top of my monitor underneath.

Lighting was horrible, too. I essentially threw everything I had easily to hand at it: LED room ceiling light, the halogen light over that shelf, and a relatively "warm" LED flashlight my wife held for me.

Like I said: Just messin' around.

C
What is the round on the left?
The brass looks like a 5.56, but with a shallower shoulder and looks like a larger caliber bullet.
I think the one on the right is a 5.56.

C
The brass looks like a 5.56, but with a shallower shoulder and looks like a larger caliber bullet.

I am going with .300 Whisper/Blackout

You might leave him alone.
May people like the aged look vs. shinny new polished just from the store look.

Man I just cannot type, can I?

I mean to say "MANY people like the aged look ..."

I recall hearing a story of someone buying an antique bronze animal.
When he went to pick it up, the seller had POLISHED it nice and shiny. He just broke down and cried. The value was in the aged natural bronze patina. Polished up, it looked like a new store bought item, and was worth 10% of what he had paid.

C
I am going with .300 Whisper/Blackout
I can see why you might think that, but it's actually a 7mm TCU. That one's inert. I keep it as a souvenir of my handgun metal silhouette days, when it was still a wildcat round.

The other is indeed a 5.56mm. It has a badly-dented case. I haven't figured out what to do with it, yet.

I mean to say "MANY people like the aged look ..."
Yeah... this is more a case of neglect ;)

I recall hearing a story of someone buying an antique bronze animal.
When he went to pick it up, the seller had POLISHED it nice and shiny. He just broke down and cried. The value was in the aged natural bronze patina. Polished up, it looked like a new store bought item, and was worth 10% of what he had paid.
Yeah, it always pays to check before even polishing, much less refinishing.

Most reactions

Back