My first model shoot. Going for vintage pinup look.

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you had been following my other thread, then you are familiar a bit with these pics. These are the original Raw conversions. Nothing else done to them.

(background not fluid either I am seeing here on the web, but I can fix that easy later.)

**note** I would like to know if anyone thinks any of these (pre and/or post pp) are good for a portfolio addition. At least a noob portfolio anyway.

I was trying to learn to process them into vintage pinup style. I think I got one or two I like, the rest kinda fail. I dunno. It was a great lesson for me in pp though in trying to create such an effect and I learned a lot.

I liked the red/white/blue outfit better. The other outfit didn't really sit well with me. But, it was not my shoot as I was pretty much a guest...so it is what it is. I was just glad to be there shooting.

I notice, now, a few times I could have improved her pose. Funny how sometimes you miss the little things during that become big things after.

Here are 6 so far that I have worked on. The post following this will be the pp vintage versions.

As always, C&C away and if you have any suggestions I am all ears.

One thing I did not care for about the yellow shirt, was that I was trying to use old yellow paper look to the background as you'd see on an old magazine and the shirt kinda blended in too much for my liking.

**I just noticed my background looks kinda purple on here, could be web kill or my craptop. They are not purple ish in my photoshop or in print. I printed these six today pre pp to see how they looked before I edited, and the white was white...so I dunno.

Flickr Set Pinup Model Holly D'anger - a set on Flickr

7778349072_a7406187e7_c.jpg

7778345820_9e8671dbde_c.jpg

7778339202_e09e2a7bf9_c.jpg

7778342066_e5e7d11042_c.jpg

7778336062_b7379dc4f7_c.jpg

7778334490_fc83e8cd40_c.jpg

Here are the attempts at making them into vintage style (and yes...these are clean pinups...not racy at all. ;-) )

I am also noticing that her skin is blending in too much with the background as well. Kinda sucks.

Flickr Set Vintage Pinup with Holly D'anger - a set on Flickr

7778402626_1f4b5c3c54_c.jpg

7778399826_d7d88274dc_c.jpg

7778394078_916a898120_c.jpg

4. (this one I should have made her arch more and do something else with her elbow. Hindsight....)

7778396514_a03b08af22_c.jpg

5. Not diggin' this one at all. I may revisit it as I like her smile. Might make a good crop, upper torso, with different pp. Picked wrong color too for back instead of the old yellow...came out gray. lol. didn't wanna go back and re do it

7778392242_1ff62e00b8_c.jpg

6. Kinda likin' this one. I have two other umbrella shots I can process as well. **just noticed I uploaded the one with the screwed up background, multi-shaded...lol. I'm tired...I have a clean one though.)

7778390806_d21a3cbf40_c.jpg

Last edited:
phuck me, lol, all the same ****. one sec

First time every trying to process like this, was following a tutorial written for me...but still...takes more practice than one night, obviously, lol. I can see a lot of errors just in reviewing on here that I didn't see in photoshop. Point 'em out and hopefully you see what I missed.

Thanks.

ugh...me thinks I have been staring at these things too long. Revisited the original of number 6 and that white balance was phucked up. lol. Here is a better version with better wb.

my question for this one would be, what is best way in your folks' opinon to smooth out the background? In this one the paper was pretty wrinkled up and none of us caught it to straighten it out.

7778621472_2920778e00_c.jpg

Looks good, Ernicus! For a first time, they are great! The PP might take you a while to get down, but some of the stuff you are doing is definitely interesting! The model has definitely done this before!

That processing sucked...but at the same time was interesting. It sucked, in that I have never done it and first time is always a b1tch. lol. They shot with the intent on doing such things...so I followed suit to learn.

Noel processed his shots that night, as he has actions already made to handle it, and submitted his shot for the mag, (which they already replied and guaranteed him a spot...don't think it was cover though...they were looking for more racy and seductive for cover) and made her a pinup calendar with his shots. azzhole. lol. Here I am struggling trying to make 6 look presentable. lol.

I don't hate the editing, it's great for the first time!

I do find her pantyhose distracting since the color is SO orange. Maybe try sheer white instead.

I don't hate the editing, it's great for the first time!

I do find her pantyhose distracting since the color is SO orange. Maybe try sheer white instead.

Thanks. I don't hate it either, just not as happy as I would have liked to have been. It's acceptable for a first time...so I guess I'll just give it that. lol.

Yeah, the difference in panytose to skin bugged me. She was pretty pale being a readhead and really blended in with the white backdrop, but not the legs. lol. and the processing definitely made the hose way orange. I think white may have indeed been better. ;-)

Next up is some senior portraits, hopefully in about two weeks. and my kids birthday this weekend, she's 5. so I'm going to try to hold her still to get some portraits of her, we'll see. lol

I like them better prior to the processing. Vintage and pinup are actually two differnt looks, two different color schemes.

Most reactions

Back