my first newborn shoot!

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I finally tracked down a newborn to photograph! Here are some of my faves from the shoot. I was hoping to get some sweet sleepy baby shots but this little guy was wide awake the entire time I was there! I found a nice window to shoot by but still had to bump my ISO pretty high (1600).

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

and one of the big brother (my favorite photo from the shoot)
IMG_0798.jpg

Idea's to help baby sleep (for next time)
Use a fan heater, to make sure the room is really warm, and also because the noise helps to settle baby (you could also download a white noise app onto your phone)
Ask Mum to take baby's clothes off and feed baby feed baby just as you are read to shoot, the leave baby for 5 mins to fall into a deep sleep before moving/posing.

As for what you have done, the focus looks out to me. My fave is the first one, although I personally would add a little more contrast so it's less grey. I always have my babies naked as I think it looks better. And the star throw is a little distracting with all the colours on it.

Look on youtube for tutorials on posing newborn babies, this should help.
Good start though.

Hope this helps!

Thank you indioli! I have watched a few webinars about posing newborns but it isn't really my 'thing'. I prefer the lifestyle type approach; I like my photos to resemble true life and real memories rather than poses (but I do think the poses are very cute!). The little outfit was the daddy's when he was a baby which is why we used it for the shoot :). Wish I would have been able to get some family shots but mama wasn't dressed for pics :( Next time I will warn in advance that I would like mom and dad to be in the shots. This was a free shoot so I only stayed about 1 1/2 hrs, and wasn't really willing to sit around longer to wait for babe to fall asleep :lol:

I also just recently did my first newborn shoot! You've captured some great expressions of this little boy, but I also agree with indioli that
I always have my babies naked as I think it looks better. And the star throw is a little distracting with all the colours on it.
Its a little too distracting. You might want to keep all of them black and white. But like I said he still looks cute and i'm sure his mother will be happy for the photos.;)

Most reactions

Back