My first paid photoshoot! HELP!

Debbie,

Here is what gets me....

You said:
...since they are paying me! ...Any suggestions on time of day, poses, props and techniques?!

Then when told you should know these things if you are charging a client, you said...

I am an amateur

Then you go on to explain...

I know the basics and I've had some successful photoshoots I've just been doing them for free because I'm a beginner

But then you don't know what golden hour means, which is one of the most basic ideas for shooting outdoors. Here is where things get strange, your name is DKC Photography, implying a company (meaning you have a Texas sales tax permit, DBA certificate, bank account, insurance, etc etc etc), add to that you say you are charging a client, this bills you as a pro. Next you say you are an amateur and continue on saying you are a beginner. I'm confused.

If you are a pro (you have a company, have the tax permit, etc etc), which you should be (legally and ethically) if you are charging them, then you should know all of the answers to your question. If you are a beginner or amateur that is fine too, we will be happy to help you, but you should not be charging someone.

Look at it this way. You call an electrician to fix a problem with an outlet in your home. Once he arrives, you see him whip out his smartphone and ask a bunch of people on a forum how to diagnose and fix the problem. Then after that he does what the people on the forum tell him to, then hands you a bill. How would you feel?

I applaud you for your love of photography and desire to learn, although I have issue with you passing yourself off as a paid pro (any time you accept money, that is what you are doing) when you clearly do not have any of the skills/knowledge to tackle the job.

My suggestion is to continue doing free sessions until you have the answers to these questions and a lot more, then come show us your images so we can help you improve, then once you are sure you can do a shoot by yourself, without help, and deliver the goods consistantly, then branch out and get your DBA, your tax license, your bank account, your insurance, and go to it!

Allan

Set it to this and fire away
Portrait-landscape-mode.jpg

Woman eats ice cream cone off of pregnant woman's belly? Man, could have totally used that setting the other day!

Non of this is said in a bad tone, you are all right i'm not a professional. I am doing this to take photos of my children how did you all start and become great photographers?? Please tell me I can't afford the best equipment as I am not going out and getting so far in debt that I can't send my kids to college. Some people are willing to take the risk I'm not one of those people. But at the same point if we don't try something how do we know that we are not good at it? How do you get better if you don't keep trying? I was asking about prices do to all the stuff I read on here or have seen in the bigger city's which I live in a town of a population of just over 1000. Should I take photos of people in the corn fields? (children of the corn) Sometimes it seems on here people are just trying to discourage other instead of help, I was just putting my two cents in but told this person I am new some of you have been on here a lot longer and way more experienced. I am def one of the people on here asking questions and I am sure she will do fine with her pics sometimes people just pick you to do there photos because they have faith and trust in you. I do believe right or wrong we all have the option to post our thoughts on here, maybe I'm wrong:lol:

Also, what kind of camera body and lenses do you have?
My first guess would be the wonderful P&S, probably the greatest camera ever made. They are so easy to use and you never have to post process a JPEG!

I'm sure I'm wrong here but one comment I saw about people taking gigs on the side and asking on the cheap. The reason I wanted to learn about photography is due to the prices, much cheaper for me to do my kids photos myself then hire someone. I wish I could remember where I read it but someone asked if you are a professional shouldn't the pictures come out great with out editing them??? Knowing the price it costs to get prints done through a printing company I can't see charging what some do charge. I guess it depends on if you go full force in the beginning or slowly build. That is my opinion though.

I wish I could of given you an answer on time but I am too new and not enough time to read through everything for info. I wish you luck I'm sure you will do a good job much easier with friends then strangers.

Now please don't take my post as being mean or targeting you or coming after you or being disrespectful or whatever. I'm just speaking to answer your comment is in direct relation to the thread I made.

To be totally honest, you just answered your own question. Let me break it down:

The reason I wanted to learn about photography is due to the prices, much cheaper for me to do my kids photos myself then hire someone.

You made a statement and contradicted in the same tone. You can't do what a professional photographer does, so you set out to learn how to do it. You don't want to pay for a professional to do his or her work, so you're going to do it on your own. Messing up many great images in an effort to get it later on down the line.

This attitude cracks me up! There are people who go into photography because they want to undercut a photographer. What and when did photography become that one profession any monkey with a camera can do? How many people walk into an E.R. and say "I've watched E.R. the entire 15 years it was on, I want to be an E.R. Doctor on the side. I went to the supply store and purchased scrubs. I know what a hematoma is, I can say "subdural empyema" as well as a acute myocardial infarction in thesub hemothorax. When do I start?"

Knowing the price it costs to get prints done through a printing company I can't see charging what some do charge.

Not a knock on you, but this proves why you're not a professional photographer. To best sum it up; Yes, a 8x10 print costs 2.11 to print, but the 10 years of professional experience and NOT GUESSING to get that image costs the other 75.00.

Like I said before, the above questions and comments you have are an insult to professionals and while you're still learning our craft, your opinions are laughable at best. If you keep at it for another 10-15 years, you'll look back at this comment and wish you can delete it.

Next time I need to call a plumber, I'm going to tell him he needs to do it free as I have a plunger too.

;)

I LIKE this new guy!

Non of this is said in a bad tone, you are all right i'm not a professional. I am doing this to take photos of my children how did you all start and become great photographers?? Please tell me I can't afford the best equipment as I am not going out and getting so far in debt that I can't send my kids to college. Some people are willing to take the risk I'm not one of those people. But at the same point if we don't try something how do we know that we are not good at it? How do you get better if you don't keep trying? I was asking about prices do to all the stuff I read on here or have seen in the bigger city's which I live in a town of a population of just over 1000. Should I take photos of people in the corn fields? (children of the corn) Sometimes it seems on here people are just trying to discourage other instead of help, I was just putting my two cents in but told this person I am new some of you have been on here a lot longer and way more experienced. I am def one of the people on here asking questions and I am sure she will do fine with her pics sometimes people just pick you to do there photos because they have faith and trust in you. I do believe right or wrong we all have the option to post our thoughts on here, maybe I'm wrong:lol:

To be honest, you'll find more pros discouraging amateurs that show no real effort at improving.

You want to discuss beginnings? I'll tell you mine;

I had a Minolta 300si. My dream camera was a Minolta maxum7 (both film cameras)
My main cam was a Hassey.

When the Canon digital rebel came out, the original, I was one of the first people in my city to purchase it. I wasn't ready to invest in the 10D cause I KNEW digital would NEVER replace film.
I used that camera with kit lens for 5 years. In that process, I got 22 images published in 18 national magazines. I then moved to a 20d, 5D, and back to 40d. I have a 1ds mk III sitting in a closet somewhere.

It's not the equipment but the person. That being said, the person needs to know how to work their equipment. You have to be dedicated. A large problem with the photography world today is people expect to be told what to do. Sorry, I had to spend hundreds of thousands of hours learning, memberships and everything else, I just don't feel comfortable telling you everything I know when you have nothing invested in me.

Like I said before, Yes, an 8x10/5x7/4x5 all cost 75.00 in my studio. Does everyone who come to see me know it only cost 2.11 to get it printed? Yes! Do they realize that it has taken me well over 100k in memberships, workshops, countless hours learning photoshop, learning my "style"? Yes, and that's what they pay for.

I can't wait till I'm great like all of you!!! Why isn't there an a** kissing smiley face. Is this site here for people to learn I'm trying and I have taken the advice and put it to use. It just kills me when I see photos that I have done myself and someone charges $85 bucks for a print. This person works out of there home no studio. If you have a studio you have all the bills to worry about to keep it going. Would it be nice to become a pro yes but maybe I just don't have that drive or passion. I am not a wealthy person but I don't want walmart photos either.

Mr. Kilgore, you do some mighty fine work.

It just kills me when I see photos that I have done myself and someone charges $85 bucks for a print.

I'd bet if we took one of my photos and one of yours and put them up against each other, there would be major differences.

I'd bet if you and I were forced to use the exact same equipment and subject, we'd get far different equipment.

I'm NOT saying I'm better than you, only that I've been doing this longer, so I see things differently.

A "professional" charges professional prices. I have six daughters, at each of the deliveries, I've watched the anesthesiology bill go from 1200.00 for the first one, to 4500.00 for the last one.

I have a studio but worked out of my home for years and my prices were the same. If you have a business you have to take EVERYTHING into consideration;

Lights to turn on your computer.
Photoshop CS5 (cost spread out over a year)
Equipment insurance for the year
Camera equipment
Products to show
Mortage/rent as you have to work out of somewhere
And many others.

And finally, you say you can't afford equipment, if you were charging prices that professionals charge, you'd be able to buy equipment! I purchased my first dslr and I've never purchased anything after. My clients purchase it.

Most reactions

Back