My first paid photoshoot! HELP!

jaykilgore - well there you go I didn't know half of this stuff thanks for the info. I know I have friends that are considered pros in this area and haven't done any of the classes that you have. I'm not looking to have my photos put in mags or get awards so your photos must be wonderful. Before I got my current camera I had a point n shoot which I hated, yes it isn't that camera that makes the photo great you are right. I am just not in the best position to go out and spend the money for all of this until my kids are raised. You remember the moms that were just that moms that is what I am doing. With my husbands job I don't have the option to go out and work to make extra money to support myself to do photography. Most jobs in my area are minimum wage nothing more so I would have to work 2 jobs to get me 5% of the way you are at. There is no family help for us the daycare is more then what I could make in a paycheck. I got to give it to the single moms or dads out there that do it all. I will just take my camera and keep trying

Quick: We're not picking on you, just trying to educate you.

You're offensive to professional photographers with your comments. Majority of photogs wouldn't even talk to you and the op about this, so be glad some are taking the time to respond.

My apologies if I've offended anyone, just trying to point ya in the right direction.

jaykilgore - well there you go I didn't know half of this stuff thanks for the info. I know I have friends that are considered pros in this area and haven't done any of the classes that you have. I'm not looking to have my photos put in mags or get awards so your photos must be wonderful. Before I got my current camera I had a point n shoot which I hated, yes it isn't that camera that makes the photo great you are right. I am just not in the best position to go out and spend the money for all of this until my kids are raised. You remember the moms that were just that moms that is what I am doing. With my husbands job I don't have the option to go out and work to make extra money to support myself to do photography. Most jobs in my area are minimum wage nothing more so I would have to work 2 jobs to get me 5% of the way you are at. There is no family help for us the daycare is more then what I could make in a paycheck. I got to give it to the single moms or dads out there that do it all. I will just take my camera and keep trying

That is admirable, but take the advice that is here and USE It. As I said before, this is NOT the industry to try and work in if you're going to be sensitive. Hell, I have a total of 40+ images in everything from Cosmo to Playboy to Seventeen to Maxim and I STILL have people saying "Her elbows are pointy" lol.

You have to charge money to make it. The problem you have with being cheap is people will always expect it.

As I said before, the first five years I used a digital rebel 300d and the images I got from it were pretty good.

I was just trying to figure out why it costs so much. Since I am not a pro I don't put the time you all do into it. I am not sure where to get info on photography I can get books but I want to get the right ones. I look for info online maybe I am just trying to take too much in at a time. Yes, I am a sensitive person but the photos I have done to this point I have gotten great responses,but not on here. I try not to take anything to harsh maybe my wording is coming off bad. I can see my own flaws in the photos so I strive to be more careful or take more time to get a better shot. I am not charging since I still have lots to learn, should I charge even if it isn't great just due to my time? I think when I feel comfortable I will charge and I know my shots are good enough to charge. I have a friend helping me out so I plan on taking photos of her and I will post for all the make them better I have not posted a photo yet that didn't need work some better then others. My newborn ones are the only ones that didn't get to much bad info back on.

The reason I wanted to learn about photography is due to the prices, much cheaper for me to do my kids photos myself then hire someone.

I'm sure this will come off as offensive, but hear me out. This is the absolute WRONG reason to take up photography. Photography is demanding, it is expensive, it is a fickle mistress. Trust me I can tell you this because I'm going through it. I'm still new, I'll still be new for a long time. I know the struggle of getting that great image. But, you've got to go into it with the right attitude, and trying to get cheap pictures is not the right reason. Would you learn to be a painter because a van gogh is too expensive? Would you learn guitar because that beatles album costs just too much? No, you learn those things because you have a passion for doing it.

You should want to be a photographer because you believe you can capture something. Something someone will look at and it will leave a lasting impression on them. Will it take time? Hell yes. I've played guitar for over 17 years, professionally for a time. But hell, it took a long time to get there, and I didn't pick it up because I didn't like music prices. I am willing to bet a large sum of money that every accomplished photographer here started with a passion for it, and most likely still have that passion. Photography is not like other skills, you don't just pick it up. I can tell you this because I'm currently eating meals of humble pie every time I take a picture.

I was just trying to figure out why it costs so much. Since I am not a pro I don't put the time you all do into it. I am not sure where to get info on photography I can get books but I want to get the right ones. I look for info online maybe I am just trying to take too much in at a time. Yes, I am a sensitive person but the photos I have done to this point I have gotten great responses,but not on here. I try not to take anything to harsh maybe my wording is coming off bad. I can see my own flaws in the photos so I strive to be more careful or take more time to get a better shot. I am not charging since I still have lots to learn, should I charge even if it isn't great just due to my time? I think when I feel comfortable I will charge and I know my shots are good enough to charge. I have a friend helping me out so I plan on taking photos of her and I will post for all the make them better I have not posted a photo yet that didn't need work some better then others. My newborn ones are the only ones that didn't get to much bad info back on.

IMHO, a photographer should ALWAYS charge, even if it's 20.00. As long as you make it clear to the client that you are charging for supplies, that's cool.

Or another way to look at it; You are taking time away from your children, you should be compensated for that.

No offense. I have always loved photography but at the same time no I don't like the prices. Yes it will take time I just feel that when on here I am suppose to know it all and when I don't I feel like the dumb one. I didn't realize how expensive it was but I have to work within what money I have. I don't expect to be great for awhile just trying to get practice which I would prefer to work with people instead of objects or landscaping. I have a 2 cameras not top of the line 4 lenses 5 memory cards 3 batterys 1 speedlight I just got something today a reflector? my brain is stuck right now. I just ordered a backdrop to try something new. I am new to these cameras but try to purchase things as I get the money. The lighting might just have to wait awhile. I hope I named everything right.

Has this turned into the Quickphotography thread rather than the DKC thread? Srsly. Nice highjack.

Jay, you're the bomb. (Is that even pertinent these days?)

I can't wait till I'm great like all of you!!!
Edit: This part of the message was a waste of time.

Why isn't there an a** kissing smiley face.
Because it won't help you learn.

It just kills me when I see photos that I have done myself and someone charges $85 bucks for a print.
Are you really that good, honestly? Maybe they aren't as good as they think? Maybe you don't understand enough of the business, or craft, to be judging yet?

Would it be nice to become a pro yes but maybe I just don't have that drive or passion. I am not a wealthy person but I don't want walmart photos either.

Maybe you should really analyze that bit in red! To me, it's a big tell.

Yeah, we all want our luxuries and not have to pay for them. Let me know when you figure out the secret to make that happen!

Last edited:
Debbie,

I think the closest thing to your thread might be this infamous Sinead O'Connor performance on Saturday Night Live, 19 years ago. She was at the start of a VERY promising career. I want to wish you the best of luck in your upcoming shoot,and I will give you one piece of advice that has served me well; when you get people posed and into a shooting environment, take the time to get the exposure settings RIGHT...take a minute, or two minutes, and really make absolutely sure that the exposure and camera settings are RIGHT. Then, shoot the chit out of it. Then,move to the next location, and repeat the process. Taking the extra 30-90-120 seconds to make absolutely sure the settings are the right ones is very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I made a comment on here and so did others I wasn't trying to hijack anything. Next time I will just not answer back when I feel I should. And the comment about I can't wait till I'm as great as all of you I was being sarcastic and laughing. It is hard to write and know how people are saying things. Sorry

Most reactions

New Topics

Back