my first photo posted...please take a look

cpimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
B8RSOUBFJVTB.JPG

I am not much of a photographer, but I am really trying to get into surf photography (I just bought a fujifilm s5100 today). Just let me know what you think of these pics, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry my stupidity, but I cannot even see what exactly there is on the photo. Is it just the sea? what's that line in the middle?
You'll notice that to have the horizon line in the middle of the photo doesn't normally work. I would say that it doesn't work in your case here either. The 2/3 "rule" is a classic that, despite being a rule, is worth following. At least to begin with.
Then the palm tree seems that it wants to be in the picture but it doesn't make it! I'd decide between one of the two: if you put it, then put it, if not, then not.
I'd also try to work a little with the contrast between sea and sky. I guess sometimes that's hard, but sometimes it's needed, I think.
And finally, the object. Maybe there is one, and my stupidity can't see it, but I don't see anything photographed here.
Good luck with your new camera and have fun with it! One of the best things of digital is that you have no limits of photographs: to take 1 is as expensive as to take 1000. Shot a lot and you'll have a great time and learn a lot.

hi cpimp

Maybe if you composed the shot so that the sun and the tree was in the frame, it looks like it had a nice reflection on the water but youve cut half of it off.

thanks for the comments... the picture is actually of the side of a building in downtown Los Angeles. That probably explains some things. I thought it was a bit unique which is why I liked it. I enjoy photography, but it seems like every picture has been taken. There are 100,000 pictures of reflections off of lakes that look cool, and 100,000 cool sunset pictures and that discourages me. I dunno, I just thought this one was kinda neat.

wow. im still trying to picture that being a wall of a building. that must be a really interesting building, im guessing. post more pics! i suggest getting like 5 or so of ones that you really like and posting those in the photo gallery (post your photos here) section. welcome!

So this is NOT a lake????
It is the WALL of a BUILDING right in Los Angeles?
If you hadn't told us, I'd have gone with the others thinking this was a very still lake, with the horizon in an unfavourable part of your picture, i.e. right in the centre...

Yes, it seems like EVERYTHING has been photographed by now, but everyone interprets things in their own way, provided they give their photos some thought (not all do that, but most of who come here sure do that!), so there's no going wrong in photographing flowers, landscapes, seascapes, cityscapes... again and again, I think.

oh, i think i see it now, looks like pollished granite or marble.

I have looked at this image half a dozen times and this is the first time I could make any sence of it. I guess it is one of those things that once you see it you wonder how you could possiably miss it, lol.

I agree about the lack of content, the picture just dissapears into nothingness, can't really comment on dof, or exposure etc, nothing there to comment on! try to add a bit more content. ;)

thanks for the input. I guess its kind of a weird picture, maybe I should post a normal one.

At least you are thinking unique. Thats a great step in photography I think. THe rest will come.

i think i would have captured more of that tree to show sorta what we were looking at... also i'd have made the image more building, and less empty sky. (using the rule of 3rds)

is the tree actually being reflected off the marble exterior or is that just a second branch in the shot?

and you're right, it's almost impossible to have an original thought at this point in time... it seems like everything has been thought of, and yet, new things are always entering the marketplace or art gallery etc. sometimes "new" is just putting your own spin on "old"

good luck with your new hobby :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back