What's new

My First Photos C&C

ajroder

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 8, 2012
Messages
24
Reaction score
1
Location
Kansas City, MO
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got my new camera today, so I headed out around the University of Missouri campus to take some pictures to get to know my new toy. This is my first DSLR, and I am very new to photography. These were taken with the Canon T2i with the 18-55mm Kit Lens. I'm looking to improve, so any comments or criticisms on any of the photos are more than welcome. Thanks.


The Columns & Jesse Hall by ajroder, on Flickr


Railing by ajroder, on Flickr


Bench by ajroder, on Flickr
 
On photo #2 the edge is out of focus, I don't like it. One photo #1, you should back away and allow more grass on the landscape. There's too much sky in the photo.

Nice shots for your 1st time.
 
I actually like the tighter crop. Having all the grass in shadow makes the image too dark IMO

#2 even though there isnt much subject matter, it does show a nice use of DoF

#3 looks like a pretty place although it just looks like a snap shot. but you do show an understanding of placement and the rule of thirds.

Youre doing good :)
 
I agree about #3. Perhaps it would have been nicer if you had a couple cuddling on the bench or something. It lacks interest siomehow. Good exposure though, if a tad on the Dark Side, Luke.
 
I'm new to photography as well, so take my comments with a grain of salt :P

I like number 1, but find the wider crop a bit more interesting. I agree the wider one is a bit dark, but from what I can see, it seems like you also slightly brightened the crop right? Seems so from the full size shots. I think the tight crop does have a bit too much sky so perhaps cropping just a little lower would be better.

#2 is cool. I assume you focused there because of the moss texture. If that's what you wanted to show, perhaps aim shoot from a slightly higher angle? I like it as is though.

Ironically, I find number 3 the most interesting, perhaps because of how I interpreted it. Makes me feel like you can fill the bench in with anyone or anything because of how the light is hitting it, and the road symbolizing the people walking by it. But I can see how it can be seen as uninteresting. Perhaps increasing the exposure(or lifting the shadows if you shoot raw) would help. Otherwise, I think it could have been a really interesting shot with a shallower depth of field where the bench is slightly isolated from the greenery, but for that you would have needed a faster lens and/or very different composition. Perhaps revisit if you get a fast lens!

Thank you for the shots. I think you're doing well =]
 
Thanks for your comments guys. They're a huge help.
 
Pretty good start...the shots are interesting. I suggest looking for more complex compositions. For example, an old man sitting on the bench would make the picture more complete frame. Same thing with the wood. While the texture of the material is interesting to look at, the shot is lacking a subject. Check out similar shots in this forum and check out methods for post processing (PP). Good start and good luck.
 
I'd almost like number one with the larger uncrop but different angle with no school in background.

I like number 3
 
I wonder how number 1 would look if you got close, laid down and looked up at them and got a cool perspective/abstract shot?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom