My first photos with a speedlight, I need all the help I can get!!!

FITBMX

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I just got this light at the end of the week, and just got the time to play with it.
After reading the manual for the light, and the lighting area of the manual for my camera, watch some YouTube videos, and this is what I ended up with.
I do not have anyone for a subject, so I went and got an old stuffed dog that used to be my mom's.

I used the one light (my only light) off to the left about 5' away.
Please give me lots of C&C! :)

I'm using a Canon T3i, with a Owen 135mm at f2.8 lens.

These two photos are as shot, no processing so you know how my lighting looked.
7-18-15 012.jpg

7-18-15 019.jpg

These I processed in LR.

7-18-15 007.jpg

7-18-15 011.jpg

7-18-15 022.jpg

Well first of all meter for ambient lighting in the background, set that to 2-3 stops underexposed. Next get a big modifier (and by big I mean the bigger the better, subject size if you can), like a large piece of white paper, styrofoam or whatever. Aftr that get the modifier as close as you can to the subject without being in the shot and put the flash 1/2 a foot away and take a test shot.

Then either adjust apertue and flash output so you don't blow the highlights

Looks pretty underexposed. Not sure how that flash operates...does it have a couple of "A" mode color-coded setting options, perhaps? Many flashes have two color-codes f/stop options, like say a Yellow setting and a Green setting, one corresponding to say f/4, the other to f/8, at a specific ISO value. No matter how the flash works, these are under exposed images, so I'd say try and build from there.

Looks pretty underexposed. Not sure how that flash operates...does it have a couple of "A" mode color-coded setting options, perhaps? Many flashes have two color-codes f/stop options, like say a Yellow setting and a Green setting, one corresponding to say f/4, the other to f/8, at a specific ISO value. No matter how the flash works, these are under exposed images, so I'd say try and build from there.
Well first of all meter for ambient lighting in the background, set that to 2-3 stops underexposed. Next get a big modifier (and by big I mean the bigger the better, subject size if you can), like a large piece of white paper, styrofoam or whatever. Aftr that get the modifier as close as you can to the subject without being in the shot and put the flash 1/2 a foot away and take a test shot.

Then either adjust apertue and flash output so you don't blow the highlights

Alright I will start from there. I know these have problems. :)

Thanks a lot!

Something that helped me a lot when I started using flash(a flash is a scary thing, I went over 25 years without using one because... they scared the heck out of me), it's from Zack Arias:

Shutter speed control ambient light exposition
Aperture control flash exposition
ISO control both

If you would have tripled the ISO value, these would have looked better, meaning setting the camera at say, 800 ISO instead of 200. When asking for help on-line, stating the brand and model of involved gear can really, really help, since that allows others to look up the stuff on-line, and to offer concrete suggestions. "Some" equipment has obvious areas where user mistakes can be corrected easily by sliding a slider or adjusting a dial--this is especially true on flash units.

If you would have tripled the ISO value, these would have looked better, meaning setting the camera at say, 800 ISO instead of 200. When asking for help on-line, stating the brand and model of involved gear can really, really help, since that allows others to look up the stuff on-line, and to offer concrete suggestions. "Some" equipment has obvious areas where user mistakes can be corrected easily by sliding a slider or adjusting a dial--this is especially true on flash units.

Sorry about that, I completely forgot to post what the light is.:boggled:
It's a Pixel Mago speedlight.

Something that helped me a lot when I started using flash(a flash is a scary thing, I went over 25 years without using one because... they scared the heck out of me), it's from Zack Arias:

ISO control both

I wasn't planning on buying a light, but I came across it cheap and thought why not! :)

ISO control both

I wasn't planning on buying a light, but I came across it cheap and thought why not! :)
Sure, but now you're doomed to have to learn how to use it. It does introduce a slew of new variables, like balancing flash with ambient light, color temperature, spills, shadows etc. I've also discovered, unexpectedly and against my better judgment, that it can be fun :eek-73:

I just received my speed light and haven't had a chance to work with it yet but I have been reading this blog and am learning a ton. Now to start putting it to practice and re read and then more practice. Great suggestions. I got the Yongnou YN 568EX II Speedlight

Last edited:
Sounds like you've already got quite a bit of good advice to go off of. I just wanted to add that'd I love your subject. ;-) I can't tell you how many practice pictures I have of stuffed animals. I've debated many times about buying a mannequin for practicing.

Neil V's "Tangents" blog is in many ways every bit as valuable a flash guide to the new shooter...it's a LOT less "umbrella-centric" than Strobist is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back