My first pictures

xXxRangerxXx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some of my first pictures. Trying to get used to the camera, while using a white backdrop.
2008_1231Stuff0008.jpg

2008_12310017.jpg

2008_12310030.jpg

Last edited:
A good start; #s 1 & 2 are somewhat over-exposed; this sort of imagery really requires specialized lighting. A good diffuser or softbox being the minimum to avoid harsh shadows and hot-spots. #3 would also benefit from this, and additionally requires either greater DoF or a more pleasing arrangment of the candy.

Alright, thanks. I see what you mean with them being over exposed. And with the candy, they are in a candy dish so I just took the picture as they were laying. I've never taken any photography classes so I've just been trying to figure this stuff out.

Do some Google searches on things like "product photography lighting" and similar; you should find lots of tutorials that will explain the basics. Soft boxes and diffusers can be easily made at home for not a lot of money and are fun to play with.

I pretty much have been using a light box. I just still need to make a run to the store for the clamp lights.

I've also messed with the exposure some so here's the pinecone some more.

#1 ( Original )
2008_12310017.jpg

2009_01010041.jpg

2009_01010045.jpg

they r all just ok to me i dont really care for the subject matter but if you like them i guess thats what counts the most

Just stuff laying around. Right now due to the season, there's not a whole lot of beauty. Fall colors are gone, no snow. Everything just seems grey.

It's good that you're playing around and trying to get used to the camera. These pictures are just test shots so they're hard to do any C&C on them unless you're asking specific questions (like how's the lighting or how's the exposure, etc...).

Are you interested in doing product photography? What kind of lighting are you using?

Well, untill I make a run to the store, I've just been using the flash for light. Ceiling lights for the rest of lighting.

Product photography just seems like an easier way to get used to the camera. I plan taking pictures of stuff close up.

Macro photography? Fun stuff. Can be frustrating at time because the DOF is so thin and getting focus can be tricky (manual focusing recommended as the auto focus can sometime have trouble if the lighting is bad). You'll want off camera lighting or a ring light.

This camera seems to have a good auto focus. For this triscuit, I wanted to see how close I could get with the auto focus still working. Also, I wasn't worried about lighting, just the AF. ( You can see the lighting I have at the moment without the flash.)

2008_12310001.jpg

Oh, I see from the exif you're using a bridge camera (Fuji Film FinePix S1000FD)...I thought you were shooting with a DSLR.

What kind of post processing (PP) are you doing to your images? This last shot seems a little soft.

You might want to try shooting these kind of shots at the lowest ISO setting that camera is capable of (if you can set it manually)...seeing some noise in the shadows.

Right now i'm not doing any PP. My motherboard melted during vacation so I'm stuck on this computer with no editing software.
As far as setting ISO, i'm still trying to figure that out.

Most reactions

Back