My first pinup!

CA_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$chels1.jpg

My first attempt at a pinup style shot. My gf's hair wouldn't agree with us AT ALL so next time I'll grab a professional, but otherwise this shoot was a blast. Her dress was actually dark green, too.

The hardest part with this pose is the damn feet. They always come out weirdly dark -- they're shadowed, and I think there's a tendency to get all red with pooled blood in this pose as well (gross). She seems to be missing one of her feet, and the other is dark and uncomfortable looking. I have no solutions for this, sorry!

The rest is great. Totally overprocessed, but that's what you're going for, so, well done! Light's a little harsh, but again, going for a 1940s look I'm pretty sure you want harsh, so, well done again!

I can't add anything beyond Trever's comments. Fun photo!

You need to clean up that bad selection on her saluting hand's arm/wrist area and that gray band that overlays her knuckles on her left hand...those two flaws make the photo look a bit rushed, or like a work in progress. I like the "look", and the pose and outfit. Very fun shot!

Ya, the feet bother me...She should sit on top of them flat, rather than on her ankles. I really like the processing!

Beyond what has already been said, The thing to really sell the image would be her hair and makeup, or in her case the lack of over the top hair and makeup, for a pinup it's essential, the ruby red lips the Rosie red cheeks and eye lashes are all part of the look. Maybe spend a bit of time getting that done also, the very best at this work of course is Vargas and George Petty http://www.americanartarchives.com/vargas.htm, Http://vintage-pinup-decals.com/george-petty-girls.html, I'm not saying you have to copy them, but it is the standard to which you judge this kind of art. IMO anyway, if some disagree that's fine but I would hang their work in my house. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
It's a great start, I really dig the highlighting on her body, gives it a little bit of a comic feel...what I would recommend doing is looking at vintage pinup drawings and really pay attention to where the light in the image comes from. I do agree that a retro hairstyle and change the makeup and you'd be well on your way. The issue with under her feet would be fixed by posing her slightly different and using a bit more light on the image overall.

Jenn Kelly
Studio Betties Pinup & Boudoir Photography
Moments Shared Photography

Last edited by a moderator:
Great processing. Other than what's been said about feet, good stuff. To add to the comic feel, take your smudge at 10% and wisk over her hair removing the detail of it. Most of the pinups like that with the cartoony look have no real finite detail in the hair only color difference detail.

Played around with it a bit, tried to give it a more cartoon look. not to improve on yours...as it's just different, I love the clean feel of your processing.

I was gonna write what I did, but then I started doing this and that, what would this do, what about that...and now I can't recall all that I did. if you see anything you kinda like, ask and I can probly recall specifics on certain things. lol

$chels1-2.jpg

Here is her sitting on an ammo box, kinda sideways, really quick mask in...you'd have to process it and account for shadows and chit, but already know that...lol.

$chels63.jpg

actually, box is too big as is...lol, looks funny on here, but you get the idea.

Most reactions

Back