My first portrait. CC please.

While I think the landscape orientation kinda works here, most will comment that it should be shot in portrait orientation. That way you would cut out the distraction of the building on the right. I think you've got enough separation between your subject and the trees in the background that they are blurred enough not to look like they are growing out of her head. But, in the future I think it's something to watch out for.

a little soft around the eyes.. and that is looking at the large version on Flickr. If you had shot it vertically, with just the trees framing her.. it would have been nice.. as it is, you have an bunch of crap on photo right that is distracting. If you had moved over just a little to your right before shooting, she wouldn't have a "tree growing out of her head" as was mentioned.. you could have placed her between the row of trees for some nice framing and leading lines.

While I think the landscape orientation kinda works here, most will comment that it should be shot in portrait orientation. That way you would cut out the distraction of the building on the right. I think you've got enough separation between your subject and the trees in the background that they are blurred enough not to look like they are growing out of her head. But, in the future I think it's something to watch out for.

Thanks. I really like shooting portraits in landscape, I think as long as the background is out of focus or interesting landscape works.

I agree with gibson. IMO the background isn't blurred enough to not be able to make out that garbage can on the right. The way those trees are set up would've framed her nicely in a vertical shot.

Aside from the composition and softness issues already raised, it looks like your exposure and WB was pretty good on this shot. What was your lighting setup? Also, your subject's shoulders are quite square to the camera, and her lipstick color isn't optimal for the surroundings and her complexion in this shot...

Thank you all for your input. My lighting set-up was natty light. As for softness, I believe I messed that up because I would focus on her eyes and then reframe the photo without pressing auto focus lock. My bad. I'll agree that I must pay more attention to the background.

Thanks. I really like shooting portraits in landscape, I think as long as the background is out of focus or interesting landscape works.

There's nothing wrong with landscape portraits so long as you take care to compose properly and choose an aperture and focal length that blurs the background sufficiently to remove any artifacts.

Please post more once you process the C&C!

I like it.... But what if you shot it in portrait orientation (tall) instead of landscape (wide)... Kinda like...

6746495661_7a44dd4447.jpg

Shot is great. nice setting, pretty girl, good lighting. Overall a good job. Just wish that trash can wasnt there on the right. Cropping to portrait orientation does fix that though.

Horizontal vertical, whatever - crap in the backgrounds is distracting but
With that said, and I'm sure you will take an extra second next time to consider that

I like that lighting, cute girl, nice genuine looking tones - = nice!

Yeah, orientation discussion aside; nice shot, pretty model. I'd enjoy seeing more if you keep and improve on this standard.
Good lighting and WB, too, considering that a snowy background can be a bar steward to shoot in.:thumbup:

Thanks again. I shot this with my D7000 with 35mm 1.8. I do like the vertical crop. I will definitely pay attention to background next time.

The landscape orientation was okay too besides that trash can. Had you placed her on that side and blocked that from view you would probably get more favorable responses from that shot.

Most reactions

Back