My First Portrait

Eric.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
Here's my first real portrait. It's of my best friend while we were out taking photos. I told him to take a walk down the tracks and he did. He's going away to school next year somewhere across the country so I think it kinda captured that idea into it aswell. What are your thoughts?

Downthetracks.jpg

well I don't know anything really LOL but my personal opinion would be that he wasn't so far away in the shot. The shot itself is really cool but he gets lost in the tracks

Well... I don't know if I'd call it a portrait, but that's no matter. This is a well executed thought. I like the time of day you chose for the image. With the sun low in the sky, you're really communicated the texture of the stones while capturing some really wonderful rim lighting on your friend.

The composition is very good. I suspect you might hear some advice about the "rule of thirds," but this is a situation where it doesn't apply. The leading lines formed by the tracks, foliage and horizon all bring you very nicely to the subject. Also, don't that the tracks in the foreground are not centered... there's plenty of semetry goin on.

Congratulations on an impressive image.

-Pete Christie

I agree, it's a great shot and it does convey the leaving theme...but not what I'd call a portrait. Of course, putting labels on art is a futile process...so what we call it does not matter. Nice shot.

Most reactions

Back