My first post and photo (critique please!)

mstandefer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

This is my first time posting in the photo forum. I've never shared my photographs via discussion board, but I want to do something different. Friends and family don't always give you honest feedback.

My first post is a baby (I shoot lots of children) at work. We use them on our blog, facebook, etc. (always with a talent release/consent form). I am by no means a professional, my primary role is a social worker. Photography is a growing hobby!

Please just be honest. Should I crop the person holding the baby to the right? Leave it? I like the DOF so I don't know if I want to crop it in too close. I really don't know how to take the person out of the shot altogether... I did adjust some settings on Lightroom to get the color the way it is.. settings: ISO 800, 50 mm, f/3.5, 1/60sec.

Thanks,

M

$BabyBlue1.jpg

Last edited:
Did you use a preset? The WB looks off. The whites should be white and not so murky. The image is adorable, but the composition needs some work. Right now you just have a child dead center in the middle of the image which makes it look like a snapshot. Use the rule of thirds next time, or try to catch a connection between the child and the person holding them. Chopping the head off in this case isn't working either, and I am usually okay with it. The backround is distracting in this case, but cropping in closer won't do much good either because you will lose more of the head.

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I did use a preset. I liked how it brought out the blue in the child's eyes, but I now see that it is very murky in the whites.

It was meant to be a snapshot type of photo, but I wish I didn't crop the child's head. I was too quick, trying to take it while he was looking. I was focused more on the eyes, rather than getting the head in, something to remember!

I took a few with the mom, but nothing captured his eyes so sharply.

Thank you for your honest feed back. I am still new at this!

White Balance is way too yellow, Which ever preset you used isn't working for me. it did accentuate the eyes but I'm not getting the blue I think you were after. Although its hard to tell with the white balance. I would have liked a tiny more Depth of field so the childs shoulder wasn't so soft.

$Baby.jpg

Here is the original. The WB was left on shade, but I think it's a bit too orange.

I've got a ways to go!

It looks to me that this was taken under the new-version fluorescents that put out an odd mixture of light in the greenish-yellow-blueish areas.
Note that his skin is closer to 'normal' in the shadowed areas under his eyes.

$Babylll.jpg

If this is fixable, it would be by someone who is better than I am.
The image isn't particularly sharp and may not be worth the effort.
If you must shoot in that environment again, I certainly suggest a custom WB rather than depending on a preset.

Thank you The_Traveler. Any tips on a custom WB? I would like the most natural/neutral colors possible..

I am also having trouble getting sharper images in general.

I need to transfer from People Photography to Beginners, haha.

Thanks again...

You make a custom white balance using white paper or grey card in the light environment you plan to be shooting in.

this video will show you the steps

you were shooting at 1/60 f 3.5 and iso 800.
a bit slow for children but......
My guess on the sharpness is that it's just a matter of camera stability and practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from a fellow Okie. These are two great people giving you advice here, they have a ton of knowledge to share with you.

I personally love the pic the way it is...it's different. The baby is adorable and the focus is on the eyes- I like the snapshot look, but that's just me. It wasn't a photoshoot so I like it composed this way.

That is the problem with presets, you can't change anything selectively. So everything you do is going to effect the whole image. If you use the adjustment brush instead then you can just tweak certain parts of the image.

Thank you all so much for the great feedback. I am so pleased to have a new outlet to improve my photography. Hello to you ronlane! Fellow Okie :)

I am happy to have such knowledgeable people to assist me.

And I ffarl like your picture, ol' greeeeeg!

Most reactions

Back