My first Prime lens comparison

Oasis Montreal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi i had a previous post where i received lots of advice on how to use my new pentax K70-50MM + 35MM primes mostly on the use of F.8-F.22 etc. I went to take pictures with my pentax and also my tiny old Olympus - and i find the result of my olympus better then my prime lens..is it normal ? Thanks for your advice :)
A004A.JPG
AOO54.JPG
008.JPG
a008a.JPG
a99a.JPG
a99.JPG
A002.JPG
A001.jpg

I don't know but I prefer the Pentax images for the most part. Greater isolation and a more defined line draw. The OOF areas seems way better as well. When shooting flowers, I tend to shoot wide open, spot meter, and adjust EC to control highlights. Maybe you need to leave the Oly home and work closely with the Pentax. I really watch for color saturation as well on flowers, too much looks weird to me. I shoot Fujifilm and dig the chrome simulation because it calms down the saturation on red, greens, and yellows to a more natural look. I suppose that is a matter of taste. You have a fine camera and glass in the Pentax but I think it's a little foreign to you. Try shooting some flowers wide open, leave plenty of room for crop, it will smooth out those backgrounds and isolate the subject better, producing a wonderful line render. Spot meter. Often times on the fuji, on bright sunny day, the shutter will kick over from mechanical to electronic and a lot of magic happens.

I'm a little confused about what you are using with the pentax. Which lens and at what aperture/shutter speed did you take the pictures? What does (+2.4) mean?

First your title is misleading.

Your description is so minimalistic in description that what your testing is questionable. You're not giving the variables of the images taken or what the metric of "BETTER" would be so no real comparison has been made or can be made by a reader.

If it is as simple as your conclusion that you like the look of one image over another with no real reason.....then that's an opinion. Good to have but nobody else can help you with that.
If you believe something is wrong or maybe there is a metric that you think the prime lens/camera should be doing better the please post up the following:
Camera and lens.
Settings used in camera i.e. shutter speed, aperture, ISO
Focal length in mm

What you perceive to be there issue.

With the above info I'm sure we can come up with a solution or at least a why to the issue.

..is it normal ?
I can see the differences, so it's not just you. If you have labeled them correctly, then I agree, that the Olympus has made better images. Color saturation, sharpness, rendered depth, all superior to the Pentax.

Normal?

I would prefer the term; "unexpected". Frankly, seeing obvious differences between two cameras or even two different lenses on the same camera is not unusual.

Pentax:larger sensor, shallower depth of field, less in focus--not good things for close-ups of flowers. Olympus: A compact camera with a smaller sensor than the Pentax, which gives greater depth of field,so one gets more in focus when shooting close-ups of flowers. None of this is surprising at all. Small sensor cameras and phone cameras to good close-up work. To do the same quality with a DSLR requires advanced technique, such as focus stacking and multiple images,etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back