My first "pro" gig in progress...

Just found a solution for my newsroom lighting blues. Or should I say greens. I had been using what appears to be a full cut of green correction. This was too much and I could see some green on the subject with flourescent wb. I found some what appears to be 1/2 green (don't know the proper name for this color). I took a shot with flourescent WB and it knocked out the green, but everything was blue (I had ambient light knocked out.) I wasn't expecting this so I wondered if I could successfully combine gels. I added a cut of CTO and BOOM, magical white balance goodness! Now if I just had a gel color that was a mix of 1/2 green and CTO....

28. You can combine gels to knock out strange light!! (And the clouds opened, the seas parted, and the angels sang!)

Nice job, I was just going to recommend this to you. It seems like I never need "full" correction on anything. You can get 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and full, correction gels. If you need it you can stack 2 sheets of 1/2. The most useful to me are PlusGreen, CTO, CTB, and have a couple cuts of light amber and pinks. Also be on the lookout for different brands and color temps of fluorescent lights throughout the building, especially going from warm white to daylight or sunshine bulbs, you might need to tweak your gel combo from time to time.

as I'm getting paid by the hour and technically these are not my photos because I'm on the clock. And they are not asking me to shoot them.
The scope of your job is IT, not photography. You likely own exclusive copyright to the photos, unless there is a document signed by you and your employeer stating otherwise.

See: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ09.pdf

Cool man, thanks for the info. I asked my supervisor and he agreed that I can at least treat these as my own images and not belonging to the station, even though I created them on the station's time.

Here's one that I finished processing, I like it. This one wouldn't really fit the needs of what I'm shooting for, but I also have some shots of her in this dress, dramatic lighting, 'overly' dramatic pose, in front of a copier with the newroom in the background. I thought it was pretty funny and should work well. This shot was more of one for her personal use... I really like the darkness surrounding her and how the dress almost fades to black toward the floor. It feels very lonely to me, which actually goes with a story behind the dress which I won't go into.

5625691749_6f2a53ae29_b.jpg

29. Some people will say how terrible their photo is. Be able to discern the difference between them not liking the photo, and them not liking the way they look in general. Perhaps it's a combination. Overall, I've had very positive remarks, but one manager didn't like her shot at all (I thought it was pretty good) and she has requested I remove the photo and she wants a reshoot. That's fine with me, but hopefully she can tell me specifically what about it she didn't like. I may post the photo here temporarily to get some feedback on it if anyone is interested.

30. Some people will never be happy with their photo without major photoshopping.

31. Daylight is tough to work in with these small strobes.

32. Wind is a pain as well.

5643873607_471ef34533_b.jpg

33. 3 lights are better than 2.

34. I do in fact have a focusing problem on my 70-200 f/4. Sucks.

35. Most people don't mind tastefully applied digital makeup. Some even insist on it.

Be careful with the light height. The light for the lady on the stairs could have been higher, to make the shadow be lower on the wall.

I like the shadow where it is. Is there a reason lower is better?

36. Having more lights means having more options.

37. But sometimes it only takes one.

Bare flash outside office window fired through venetian blinds. Tungsten lamp on desk. On camera 580 for slight fill and trigger. WB tungsten.

5644439990_372f7ef5b0_b.jpg

38. Listen to your subject's ideas. Some of my favorite shots, including the above, were the idea of the subject.

39. Focus & Recompose is wreaking havoc on long focal length shots. Started selecting my focal point, even on wide shots and it's not a hinderance like I thought it would be.

40. After 170 portraits here at work, I feel like it's becoming more challenging to think of creative composition and lighting. I need to start focusing on using the light to suit the mood of the person/portrait.

So it turns out that I do in fact have a back-focusing problem with the f/4. Fortunately I picked up a 2.8 IS to replace it. However, I have grown to like selecting my AF point for maximum sharpness and haven't found it to be a hassle so I will continue the practice.

41. Watch battery power in the strobes.... if it starts recycling slowly, there's a good chance that the shots will be underexposed as well.

42. Lumiquest quickstraps combined with small velcro "dots" are great for quick gel application.

5685882816_c0369ce7c8_b.jpg

5685310949_fe8843b1fe_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back