What's new

My first red ring!

SensePhoto

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
352
Reaction score
28
Location
USA, PA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Pretty excited, purchased a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens last night and expecting it tomorrow. My first L lens and I cant wait to play with it. Do you guys happen to have any general feedback on it or pointers/advice on how to use the lens? It would be greatly appreciated

3523798239_b2792ef74a.jpg
 
So beautiful. How does it feel on the 60D? I've been longing that lens.


Edit: I completely skipped over the "expecting it tomorrow"
 
Last edited:
So beautiful. How does it feel on the 60D? I've been longing that lens.


Edit: I completely skipped over the "expecting it tomorrow"

Yeah i just got a notification that it was shipped out via next day shipping so ill let you know. I think normally it would be a bit nose heavy but i just mounted a battery grip on mine so i think it will balance off nicely. I'll post pics and a video of it tomorrow for you guys.
 
Its a lens..use it like any other. No offense but i dont think you should be asking for general advice on how to use it if your at the point that you bought a lens of that quality......enjoy it though. Its very pretty :D
 
Its a lens..use it like any other. No offense but i dont think you should be asking for general advice on how to use it if your at the point that you bought a lens of that quality......enjoy it though. Its very pretty :D

It wasn’t an impulse buy, i spent the past 2 months contemplating on what lens to get and it wasnt cheap. The reason i asked for general advice because there’s always room for improvement and i can’t expect to know everything there is about a lens i never actually laid my hands on. I just want to take full advantage of it.
 
Congrats on getting a fantastic lens!

Best tip I can give you - lenshood - always always shoot with the lens hood on!
 
Best tip I can give you - lenshood - always always shoot with the lens hood on!

+1 on that piece of advice.

Also try and remember that the lens has other apertures other than f2.8. In the euphoria of using fast glass many get stuck on 'wide open' too long. 2.8 is not always the best choice for the image you want to create.

Have fun with it and don't be scared to use it. It will not melt in the rain.
 
Best tip I can give you - lenshood - always always shoot with the lens hood on!

+1 on that piece of advice.

Also try and remember that the lens has other apertures other than f2.8. In the euphoria of using fast glass many get stuck on 'wide open' too long. 2.8 is not always the best choice for the image you want to create.

Have fun with it and don't be scared to use it. It will not melt in the rain.

+1. When i got my 80-200 2.8 i tried to keep it at 2.8 all the time! Goodluck and can't wait to see your photo's with it!

Regards,
Jake
 
Best tip I can give you - lenshood - always always shoot with the lens hood on!

+1 on that piece of advice.

Also try and remember that the lens has other apertures other than f2.8. In the euphoria of using fast glass many get stuck on 'wide open' too long. 2.8 is not always the best choice for the image you want to create.

Have fun with it and don't be scared to use it. It will not melt in the rain.

Thank you so much you two, great advice! Is UV filter a good idea for it or is it just more of a personal preference? I have UV filters on my other lenses but I’ve noticed that the filter actually generated more glare on the 50mm f/1.4 for some reason so I took it off, any thoughts on that with this L lens?
 
Unless you're shooting in dust storms; at the beach; in dirt rallies - ie anywhere where you have small light particles and mud thrown around a lot then I don't think you have any need of a UV protection filter provided that you've got the hood on.

The protection filter is thin and it won't stop anything serious (and can make it worse as the thin glass shatters and cuts right back into your lens glass) furthermore as you have found out, it will increase the chances of lens flares and other problems. Even the multicoated filters will cause these given the right lighting conditions.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom