What's new

My first red ring!

Unless you're shooting in dust storms; at the beach; in dirt rallies - ie anywhere where you have small light particles and mud thrown around a lot then I don't think you have any need of a UV protection filter provided that you've got the hood on.

The protection filter is thin and it won't stop anything serious (and can make it worse as the thin glass shatters and cuts right back into your lens glass) furthermore as you have found out, it will increase the chances of lens flares and other problems. Even the multicoated filters will cause these given the right lighting conditions.

Yeah that makes sense, thanks :thumbup:
 
Do you guys happen to have any general feedback on it or pointers/advice on how to use the lens? It would be greatly appreciated.

Well, in general here is what I would suggest: remove the lens caps front and rear and mount the lens on a Canon body, and point it in the general direction of subjects that are generally interesting. Take light meter readings and snap photos as interesting compositions come into existence. Vary lens focal length and camera-to-subject distances. Enjoy the Canon L-series goodness!!! I have one of these puppies, and it's a good lens.
 
Do you guys happen to have any general feedback on it or pointers/advice on how to use the lens? It would be greatly appreciated.

Well, in general here is what I would suggest: remove the lens caps front and rear and mount the lens on a Canon body, and point it in the general direction of subjects that are generally interesting. Take light meter readings and snap photos as interesting compositions come into existence. Vary lens focal length and camera-to-subject distances. Enjoy the Canon L-series goodness!!! I have one of these puppies, and it's a good lens.

Haha couldnt make it clearer! I'll do just that :mrgreen:
 
Got it!!!

DSCN0919.jpg

DSCN0922.jpg


I heard it was a hefty lens but wow is this thing heavy, even with a battery grip it still feels a bit nose heavy on the 60d. As soon as I started taking pictures with it though i stopped caring about the weight or the balance. One thing right of the bat i dont see my self shooting in f/2.8 very often unless its in a low light, way to soft for my taste. I took a couple samples.

f/2.8@200mm iso640
IMG_1234.jpg

f/4.0@200mm iso640
IMG_1235.jpg


f/2.8@200mm iso640
IMG_1241.jpg


f/10@200mm iso640
IMG_1229.jpg


Hopefully ill get to go out and take some shots of wildlife this week, that will be fun.
 
Congrats! I'd put a UV filter on it but you have to buy a decent one since the cheap ones glare easily. No sense in putting a $15 Tiffin filter on a $2300 lens. Try a B+W UV. I have one on every lens and its saved me a few times. That and the hood. Easier to wipe down a UV filter repeatedly than slowly wear down the coatings on the lens, and even with a hood, you'll be wiping it down guaranteed.
 
Congrats! I'd put a UV filter on it but you have to buy a decent one since the cheap ones glare easily. No sense in putting a $15 Tiffin filter on a $2300 lens. Try a B+W UV. I have one on every lens and its saved me a few times. That and the hood. Easier to wipe down a UV filter repeatedly than slowly wear down the coatings on the lens, and even with a hood, you'll be wiping it down guaranteed.

yeah thats what i'm thinking. It was shipped to me with a filter so im not sure if its a cheap one or a good one. On the ring it says "Canon 77mm UV HAZE(Sharp Cut) Japan" sounds like a canon filter
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom