My first set of photos

Brutus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Over the past 9 days, I've been on vacation. Three days in Yellowstone, one in Grand Teton, and one in Glacier National Park. During the trip, I took some photos. This is the first time I've really attempted taking photos, and it sums up nearly all of my experience. Most of the photos are taken with a Canon S1, but the macros and most of the pictures from the mud pots in Yellowstone were taken with the Canon HD870. I prefer the S1 due to the manual features, although the image quality of the HD870 is better. I'd like some critiques. Some of the photos I took turned out quite grainy, like some of them from Glacier National Park, but I think that is due to the 3.2 megapixels and the relative low light. Most photos are unedited, but some used the autofix option on the built in editing in Flickr (I didn't have access to a computer with actual editing software). I feel I have many pictures too dark, some too bright, and some that are just a bit washed out, but overall I think just a bit of editing, and the Canon S5 I'm getting in October, would make the pictures come out quite nice. Any fundamental problems you can see from a quick look through the pictures? They are all on my Flickr page (the page only has the pictures from the trip): http://flickr.com/photos/29682929@N08/

I like to think most of them are pretty good, and I like to think some of the grainy ones would've been fixed by a better camera. Like I said, though, I had basically a week of experience during the most RECENT images on that page; the ones from Yellowstone I had almost none.

There are some good images on there, but if you really want people around here to respond, I would recommend embedding your photos in the post.

Some good stuff, put a select few in the post and let people digest a little at a time. :D

Alright, here's a few (not the largest size, obviously):

This one was taken in Yellowstone:

2788118898_12f814702c_b.jpg

This one was taken in Yellowstone, and it looks pretty good due to how bright it was in Yellowstone:

2788114788_c4dbe0c19c_b.jpg

Taken in Grand Teton:

2788723616_84c98f9f85_b.jpg

Also taken in Grand Teton:

2788713390_00d6de93e3_b.jpg

These next two were taken in Glacier national park, and you can tell they are a bit grainy due to the low light in the area, but otherwise I think they are pretty good pictures:

set-72157606916745113
2787817383_2739b01b20_b.jpg

2788671102_c635cc15b6_b.jpg

set-72157606916745113

I won't post any of my panoramas, being as they are so large, but when you look at the largest size, or even less, you can see many of them aren't as clear as I would like, especially Pan10. I set it to my desktop, and you can clearly see blurriness or fuzziness, which I really dislike.

I think the problems with graininess/fuzziness or overall lack of sharpness is due to my using a camera from 2004, or at least I'd like to think so.

Note: All of these were taken with the Canon S1.

Last edited:
The subject matter of your images is nice, and overall the composition is good. The grain (Noise) is not because of low light, it's because of under-exposure. I can't bring up the EXIF data on these images; what camera and what were your SS, Aperture, ISO, etc?

Under exposure, eh? Like I've said, those are all taken with the Canon S1, but the F-stop, shutter speed, etc. changed from picture to picture. Sadly, I can't go back and test that, but I'll have to try some stuff out today and see if it helps. The ISO was always 80, btw.

Some great photos, especially the last couple. Some of them, however, are a bit bright and harsh. A slower shutter speed and and CPL would've helped.

Could you tell me which ones specifically are too bright and harsh? I now know a lot of the ones from Glacier and a couple from Yellowstone are underexposed and thus grainy, but which ones are too bright?

Of what you posted, definitely number three. There was a couple more I saw in the link.

Of what you posted, definitely number three. There was a couple more I saw in the link.

That's the one I was thinking of. In Grand Teton I was trying various exposure levels to try and get the clouds to stand out.

Most reactions

Back