My first shoot with a model

Puma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Hey all,

I am very new and have recently attempted my first model shoot. It was a TFCD shoot and my first ever of a model. Well she wasnt a real model just a girl looking to get into modeling.

Anyway I would like for you guys to critique the shots I like the best from the shoot.

slightphotoshoppotraitlessyellow.jpg

photoshopped.jpg

I have others but im not very proud of them :)

I know there is probably alot wrong with these so please let me know what I can do better.

Thanks,
-Puma-

The first thing I'd say is to watch the shiny-ness of her features and the back light (which this has none it appears) on 1. Otherwise, they appear to be okay.

<I'm sorry... I am a little preoccupied (all of the sudden) but I'll take a better look later.> I really want you to have my opinion if you want it.

The first thing I'd say is to watch the shiny-ness of her features and the back light (which this has none it appears) on 1. Otherwise, they appear to be okay.

<I'm sorry... I am a little preoccupied (all of the sudden) but I'll take a better look later.> I really want you to have my opinion if you want it.

Ofcourse I want your opinion. These shots were done in the middle of the day due to the lack of time schedule from the model. So I went to a couple shady spots and tried to get a dark background look.

I dont have any portable lights. The only light source I had was my sb-800 flash. I do plan on buying some lights very soon.

-Puma-

1. did you notice the thing(necklace?) sticking out of her blouse in the first short. (near neck on the right). you could probably get rid of it in photoshop.

2. I like 1 more than 2. In 2 the stick on the left looks like it is a bit too close to her (right eye).

you can set the 800 as a slave to the built in flash on your camera and just set it somewhere close (next time.)

<geesh... I promise to get back here>

Keep it up. Also in the meantime, check out "the strobist" on line. (google search it - it is very helpful on lighting)

1. did you notice the thing(necklace?) sticking out of her blouse in the first short. (near neck on the right). you could probably get rid of it in photoshop.

2. I like 1 more than 2. In 2 the stick on the left looks like it is a bit too close to her (right eye).

Yeah actually I did notice that. I think its a brastrap. I do need to try and get that out of the picture.

On 2 I guess I could try to edit that stick out.

I really need to learn more about lighting is what I am thinking.

-Puma-

Yeah actually I did notice that. I think its a brastrap. I do need to try and get that out of the picture.

On 2 I guess I could try to edit that stick out.

I really need to learn more about lighting is what I am thinking.

-Puma-

http://strobist.blogspot.com For lighting technics. Also do you have say an Omnibounce? They are inexpensive and, work quite well. Your local store should have them or you can make a bounce out of photopaper. I dont have the link to that one though. Maybe someonelse does. It will kill off alot of the shininess once you dial in your flash. Always shoot one good test shot and, then adjust as needed till you get what you want.
Aside from the shiny thing and, the plants they are OK. You just need to get some mor facial expressions and, such from her. Try and set some moods.

Okay, I have a little time...

First thing is not entirely your fault. We as photographers, when we shoot models or people in general, are only partially technical (IMHO). Meaning that it is our job to make sure the person in front of us is the best they can be too. BUT this model has to learn for herself how to have a photo taken. Her smile is great, but no real expression in her eyes. You can't do that for her, but these are things you need to look for. Should this shot be taken technically perfect (lighting - we mentioned, head position - a little too "tilty" for me and the shiny-ness [my own word] - we mentioned), I still would have rejected this in the long run, because of the eyes.

The bra strap can be fixed using the patch or clone tool in photoshop but we ALL miss those thinks especially being caught up in the moment. She was posed and had a little time to be worked with. Sometimes, you have 300 things you're looking for in the split second you need to take the shot in. WE ALL MISS STUFF!!!

Shot 2 wasn't my thing simply because I always think of predators or bikini clad models ready to grab you in these "peek through the grass" shots. It's not a bad shot and I know you're shooting them like you get them (to a degree) but I wouldn't have put that combo together (that dress with that setting).

This is the hardest thing to critique because of personal style coming into place. I personally posted 2 separate threads and got critiques I would have never thought of based on pure post processing and personal taste. You just have to take them for what they are.

If you're open to the C&C, this will change your entire outlook!

Good job.

http://strobist.blogspot.com For lighting technics. Also do you have say an Omnibounce? They are inexpensive and, work quite well. Your local store should have them or you can make a bounce out of photopaper. I dont have the link to that one though. Maybe someonelse does. It will kill off alot of the shininess once you dial in your flash. Always shoot one good test shot and, then adjust as needed till you get what you want.
Aside from the shiny thing and, the plants they are OK. You just need to get some mor facial expressions and, such from her. Try and set some moods.

Thanks and yes I am starting to read that strobist site, looks great. Im not sure what an Omnibounce is. I have purchased a softbox attachment for the sb-800. I havent used it yet.

At this shoot I also didnt know how to lower the flash. I had planned on doing an outdoor shot at sunset, but was unable to due to scheduling. I received my flash in the mail like the day before so I brought it and tried to do the best I could. I do know more about it now.

-Puma-

you can set the 800 as a slave to the built in flash on your camera and just set it somewhere close (next time.)

<geesh... I promise to get back here>

Keep it up. Also in the meantime, check out "the strobist" on line. (google search it - it is very helpful on lighting)

I dont know how to do that and I didnt know I could. I thought I could only use a sb-800 for a master. Thats cool to know I will try it out.

Thanks,
-Puma-

Okay, I have a little time...

First thing is not entirely your fault. We as photographers, when we shoot models or people in general, are only partially technical (IMHO). Meaning that it is our job to make sure the person in front of us is the best they can be too. BUT this model has to learn for herself how to have a photo taken. Her smile is great, but no real expression in her eyes. You can't do that for her, but these are things you need to look for. Should this shot be taken technically perfect (lighting - we mentioned, head position - a little too "tilty" for me and the shiny-ness [my own word] - we mentioned), I still would have rejected this in the long run, because of the eyes.

The bra strap can be fixed using the patch or clone tool in photoshop but we ALL miss those thinks especially being caught up in the moment. She was posed and had a little time to be worked with. Sometimes, you have 300 things you're looking for in the split second you need to take the shot in. WE ALL MISS STUFF!!!

Shot 2 wasn't my thing simply because I always think of predators or bikini clad models ready to grab you in these "peek through the grass" shots. It's not a bad shot and I know you're shooting them like you get them (to a degree) but I wouldn't have put that combo together (that dress with that setting).

This is the hardest thing to critique because of personal style coming into place. I personally posted 2 separate threads and got critiques I would have never thought of based on pure post processing and personal taste. You just have to take them for what they are.

If you're open to the C&C, this will change your entire outlook!

Good job.

Thank you for taking the time. I will think about the eyes thing you mentioned. Like I said she wasnt really a model and I have never worked with a real model. I will look at some more pics at a model site and try to catch what they are doing with there eyes.

Thanks alot.

-Puma-

Looking at her eyes more now, they do have a flat look to them, not much in expression. I see what you are saying.

I looked at some other photos and there eyes just kinda say hello and this models dont at all.

I am glad I did one like this though, neither one of us expected much other than getting some experience under our belt.

-Puma-

I am glad I did one like this though, neither one of us expected much other than getting some experience under our belt.

THAT is the key. Practice and barter with models as much as you can. Trade!!! Tell them that you're both in the same boat. Shoot sessions for them for free and have her pay for prints at your cost. This way they can be used as models for your work (or portfolio) and the prints can be use by them for their portfolio. It's what made the world go around.

And if your prints suck (which they won't), the pressure is off of both of you! Re-shoot until both of you gain experience.

If you can get her to do a reshoot and, try to get her to change moods. She will need to learn to do it. Have her go to say model mayhem and, look to see what they are doing. Here is the link http://modelmayhem.com

1) Change the body position of your model (45 degree angle, etc.). Avoid the direct frontal mugshot look.

2) Exposure - background is very dark. Looks like you were shooting after dinner. Lighten up the background to show some color and texture.

3) Off camera lighting is the way to go. You can get more creative with additional lighting. But try to master posing first and working with natural light.

We all have to start somewhere. Congratulations on your first model shoot. She is a really pretty girl. With the right posing and lighting she can be a knock-out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back