My first SLR camera

nestaa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello and merry christmas dear professionals!

I'm interested in a more artistic/professional approach to photography for quite some time now hence want to buy my first SLR camera. I don't want to spend too much on my first model, 300-400€ is already a lot of money for a young and poor student like me.
I thought about the eos 1100d (380€ here) as a beginner's camera, but read in several forums that it may be a rather disappointing camera [also I don't know how hard it is to manually clean it, as it apparantly doesn't have this auto-clean function]. Therefore my second option would be a used 500d (from ~400€), however I'm not too comfortable with buying a used one, as I don't know if there's anything wrong with it, it just seems very hard to predict if really everything is alright and if there is a decrease in quality.

So my question to you is, whether I should just get the 1100d and sell it as soon as it is no longer good enough for my demands (I think the value doesn't decrease too much, does it?) or is it smarter to get a used 500d right away or even a different model in that price-range?

I know that this is very subjective, but what would be your preferred choice?

Hello, nestaa, and Merry Christmas to you too! Have you considered other brands? You can get a new Nikon D3100 for 412.40€ - or a Sony A37 for 440€. If you are open to a DSL without a mirror, the excellent Panasonic G3 with articulated LCD is 399€.

Any of these cameras would be a great tool for learning photography and will serve you well for a very long time.

Here is what the Sony can do: Flickr: The Sony SLT-A37 Pool

Here is what the Nikon can do (from Nikon D3100 Italia group): Flickr: The NIKON D3100 ITALIA Pool

Here is what the Panasonic can do: Flickr: The The Panasonic G3 Pool

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
brunerww said:
Hello, nestaa, and Merry Christmas to you too! Have you considered other brands? You can get a new Nikon D3100 for 412.40€ - or a Sony A37 for 440€. If you are open to a DSL without a mirror, the excellent Panasonic G3 with articulated LCD is 399€.

Any of these cameras would be a great tool for learning photography and will serve you well for a very long time.

Here is what the Sony can do: Flickr: The Sony SLT-A37 Pool

Here is what the Nikon can do (from Nikon D3100 Italia group): Flickr: The NIKON D3100 ITALIA Pool

Here is what the Panasonic can do: Flickr: The The Panasonic G3 Pool

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Any camera can do what was pictured in the examples given. It's dependent on the skill of the photographer more than the image capturing vessel in their hands.

OP, any entry level camera will do you just fine. I'm partial to canon myself, but it really makes very little difference. I would not opt for the 1100D personally because it lacks a rubber grip. I would suggest the 500D or 550D at a minimum.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello and merry christmas dear professionals!

I'm interested in a more artistic/professional approach to photography for quite some time now hence want to buy my first SLR camera. I don't want to spend too much on my first model, 300-400€ is already a lot of money for a young and poor student like me.
I thought about the eos 1100d (380€ here) as a beginner's camera, but read in several forums that it may be a rather disappointing camera [also I don't know how hard it is to manually clean it, as it apparantly doesn't have this auto-clean function]. Therefore my second option would be a used 500d (from ~400€), however I'm not too comfortable with buying a used one, as I don't know if there's anything wrong with it, it just seems very hard to predict if really everything is alright and if there is a decrease in quality.

So my question to you is, whether I should just get the 1100d and sell it as soon as it is no longer good enough for my demands (I think the value doesn't decrease too much, does it?) or is it smarter to get a used 500d right away or even a different model in that price-range?

I know that this is very subjective, but what would be your preferred choice?

I used the 1100d(T3 here) for a long time and it never let me down and was never disappointed in it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone.

Be more confident buying used, as long as you do your homework you will be fine. I would check out KEH.com and fredmiranda; you can also look at the Buy & Sell forum on TPF.

Good Luck

Thanks bill and tyler, I will definitely have a closer look at them; a bit out of my planned budget, but I will take some more time to make a decision, maybe I'm willing to invest a bit more by then! People were always very positive about my pictures taken with a rather average digital cam and I'm confident I have a good eye for photography and am willing to find out how to get the best results with the camera I buy.

I have now seen a Rebel T3 which is (new prices) way too expensive for me, a Rebel T3 / 1100D for 350€ and a 1100D for 380€. I don't know in what way they are different right now, will have a look at each ones specifications tomorrow, 1100D and Rebel T3 / 1100D at least look the same and in the description it is named 1100D, no T3.

If it comes down to 1100D vs. 500/550D I could still just get a new 1100D and send it back, if I miss the grip. But I think that this is not the main difference in quality between these two.

For the used ones, you can't always see small scratches in pictures and don't know of any former malfunctions, if it's been dropped before, etc.; I'm always more confident with a brand new product. Also I'm from europe, the websites gw2424 mentioned are from the US? Shipping will be extraordinary expensive, and long, in the hands of many postmen throwing the package around to be very pessimistic. But I definitely will keep an eye on my countries ebay and amazon sellers.
I will feel very bad spending more than 380€, 420€ is my absolute limit I suppose. I can only find few 550's for that price and considering many are more, I'm even more worried about the cheaper ones quality.

Thanks again for all replies so far and feel welcome to leave more suggestions and opinions!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back