What's new

My first time using a DSLR camera! CC please!

MScreations

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 10, 2011
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is the first time I used a dslr camera. I know they are not perfect by any means but I am looking to improve while i play with the camera. Thanks everyone!

lexistarebw by melendakay, on Flickr

Sony DSLR-A500
0.006 sec (1/160)
f/8.0
70 mm
800

Camera
Exposure
Aperture
Focal Length
ISO Speed


lexileave2 by melendakay, on Flickr

Sony DSLR-A500
0.006 sec (1/160)
f/8.0
70 mm
800

Camera
Exposure
Aperture
Focal Length
ISO Speed


lexishea by melendakay, on Flickr

Sony DSLR-A500
0.008 sec (1/125)
f/4.0
70 mm
800

Camera
Exposure
Aperture
Focal Length
ISO Speed
 
C&C per req:

1. Ahhhh... your first time using a DSLR and you've already discovered selective colour. I'm sorry... I'm not sure if you can be saved! ;) As you will soon learn if you spend any time here, selective colour is not a popular technique. When used properly, it is used to draw the eye to a specific point. WHy should we look at the leaf and not the child?

2. A cute shot; somewhat over-exposed however. When you're composing your shots, orient the camera to suit the subject, in other words, tall, thin subject (person) use a vertical or portrait orientation. Avoid cropping bits of limbs such as the child's right elbow. If you must crop limbs, do it boldly and not at/near a joint.

3. A bit 'flashed'l looking, and again, note how close the bottom of the image is to her toes. This would, IMO, work much better if most of the LH side was cropped away. The empty space is adding nothing.

Overall, they're not a bad start. Read your manual, learn the controls and capabilities of your gear. Keep shooting, and keep posting.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John
 
You're seem to be good at capturing fleeting moments and expressions, which I think is the most important thing in photographing children - letting their personality come through. In addition to what tirediron said, #3 looks over-flashed, which makes the background come out too dark. I would brighten the background a little.
 
Thank you both for the help and CC I truly appreciate it!!
#1 lol the mom wanted selective color on the photo.. and you have a great point that why should we be drawn to the leaf. I am sure someone can save me :sexywink::lol:

#2 yea i am trying to learn this NOT cutting parts off.. it is harder to get the candid shots when she is moving around so much.. will def keep working on it.

#3 we lost almost all lighting at this point which is why so over flashed.. we are going out again on sat to hopefully get a better shot.. I just kept this one cause they were so natural in it and the smiles were real verses their fake smiles they like to give me lol.

Please everyone keep the CC coming this is how we all learn and prosper! Thanks so much again!
 
I like the subjects in your shots. You did capture some good expression etc. I think the editing is a problem. I think you need to just calm down on the editing. What I mean in that is it looks like you cranked up the contrast in #2 and #3 and it looks unnatural. I would crop #2 down a little from the top and right. #3 crop out some of the left side. I will not repeat the stuff about the flash or cutting limbs off. Was #3 a pop up flash or external?
 
What you should have caught is the face after the lick on #2... ;-)

You've got a good start. Catching kids is tough if you try to pose them. Kids are much easier and more comfortable if they are allowed to do what kids do. It's a lot more moving around and adjustments on your end, but it's worth the result. Coming from someone (yes, me!) who tends to over edit, they aren't too crazy. I don't mind the contrast in #2 personally. It depends on what you like and what you are going for. I am here to learn to leave a photograph alone because I've been editing for years, which I think has hurt my ability to shoot a nice picture. lol
 
it is all pop up flash when used.. it was only used on last one.. I cant afford my lights yet :(
 
I love kids for that reason of you just need to be on your feet!! it is fun but then I get kids parents wanting posed.. so I explain how I feel about poses and they tend to relax more lol yeah I am just learning the editing it is fun! Thanks SO much for all the CC!! :D
 
I am confused you said you are new to a DSLR but you are talking about parents wanting posed shots...are you charging for services or something?
 
nope not charging... just taking pics of my friends kids. And they want certain poses all the time.. when really I just want to play with the kids and get pics.. so I have to explain to them why. I actually had a friend she wanted to pose each shot. I am building up pictures for my photography classes I am just starting out on my BS in photography
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom