My first trip to the zoo with camera

Trblmkr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was my first time going to the local zoo. After reading for days on when the best times are to go etc., I got there at 6am. However, that early in the morning, very little of the animals were out, not to mention my kit lens had some series issues with it's 4.5/5.6 f-stop. Needless to say, I had to really crank up the ISO, which really upset me.

Here is one of the best shots I managed to capture later on in the morning, and this is cropped to get the best image possible of the cats.

20130824 DC National Zoo 43 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

20130824 DC National Zoo 18 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

20130824 DC National Zoo 65-1 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and the comments... and I apologize if the pics are too large.

Thanks Ron. I'll be honest I was freaked out having to shoot at such a high ISO. I don't think in the year I've been taking pictures I've had it higher then 200. All I kept thinking was 1000ISO is going to be noisy as all hell, and that frustrated me.

For pictures in a zoo these came out really well. They almost never do in my opinion but these look very good.

Very nice, Dan, most of mine didnt come out as I had hoped. The National Zoo isnt a great place to photo animals at. You did very well, man, I like them a lot.

For pictures in a zoo these came out really well. They almost never do in my opinion but these look very good.
Thanks for the comment Michaeal

Very nice, Dan, most of mine didnt come out as I had hoped. The National Zoo isnt a great place to photo animals at. You did very well, man, I like them a lot.
Jake, I enjoyed the ones you've posted as well. I want to go back one day with a better lens, so I might have to get one from Borrowlens or something like that.

Most reactions

Back