My first try with HDR

Boomn4x4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
... I guess I'm "okay" with the results. It does make for an interesting photo. I did the HDR with Gimp, so I'm not sure if the software is limiting me, or if I just don't know what I'm doing.

b0b11f7f.jpg

Does anyone have any good tutorials that may help me figure HDR out better?

You've created a strange affect that's somewhere between posterization and embossing... Are you using photomatix?

You've created a strange affect that's somewhere between posterization and embossing... Are you using photomatix?

I agree completely....

What I did take an original image and created 2 more layers, one lighter, one darker.... Then applied a desatured layer mask on the darker layer and an desaturated and inverted layer onto the lighter layer.

yeah it doesn't look HDR...well not a good HDR at least. I don't know if this pic is a good candidate for HDR

yeah it doesn't look HDR...well not a good HDR at least. I don't know if this pic is a good candidate for HDR

What kind of pic should I look for?

What in the world did you do to achieve this look?

What kind of pic should I look for?

usually landscapes are best for HDRs. Also large churches are huge for HDRs. I used to hang out at HDR forum all the time before. Before I started doing all these shoots, thats what I would do for fun but seems like no time :( But yeah, I'd start with landscape

What in the world did you do to achieve this look?

LSD??? :lmao: Boom I'm just messing w/ you man! But yeah landscape's the way to go!

Try #2???

9308cf7f.jpg

I have been doing some reading, and it sounds like Gimp (being only 8 bit) means you can't really get true HDR out of it... So I'm sure my software is somewhat of a limitation.

True HDR or not, I do think it does make for an interesting effect.

DUDE! LOL NOOOOO!!!! :lmao:

What program are you using??? What settings are you using? Are you using 3 images??
Can you post the original image?

Don't just take one picture of your subject then copy that image and make a darker one and a lighter one. If you have exposure bracketing on your camera which I am sure you do since most Dslr's have it now. Get a cheap tripod or a good one, or anything that will keep your camera steady for multiple shots. Take three to five pictures using 3 different exposure levels then create your HDR. Download Photomatix as well, much better for HDR than Gimp. Even if you don't have a tripod and handhold the shots, if bracketed photos are close to lining up then Photomatix cane line up the features for you. Takes a while and doesn't always come out nice, but it works enough.

Don't just take one picture of your subject then copy that image and make a darker one and a lighter one. If you have exposure bracketing on your camera which I am sure you do since most Dslr's have it now. Get a cheap tripod or a good one, or anything that will keep your camera steady for multiple shots. Take three to five pictures using 3 different exposure levels then create your HDR. Download Photomatix as well, much better for HDR than Gimp. Even if you don't have a tripod and handhold the shots, if bracketed photos are close to lining up then Photomatix cane line up the features for you. Takes a while and doesn't always come out nice, but it works enough.

As of right now, I'm just playing around during some idle time at work. I don't have the option of taking 3 shots. But I have to ask, whats the difference in doing the different exposure settings in camera or out of camera, if I'm using camera RAW files, isn't adjusting the exposure in camera doing the exact same thing as out of camera?

I'll take a look at Photomatix.

It is just easier to have to do than go edit the pictures to the exposures wanted. Hold on I know there is a good link for an HDR explanation and step by step tutorial.

Yup, here it is:
http://www.idigitalphoto.com/high-dynamic-range-photography-explained/

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to other sites so if not....slap me on the wrist and delete my link.

Some scenes are going to have a much higher range of values so you may need many more stops of light than you can adjust for in RAW. I've noticed RAW adjustments start getting quite noisy if you are raising shadows, and posterized if you are reducing highlights, starting at around .8 stop (less than 1 stop). Theoretically you could do it with one file, but then you wouldn't need to because you can just make the adjustments with curves.

As far creating an HDR using layer mixing globally, I've never tried it.

How is doing an image in HDR different than simply adjusting the curves... pulling the darks up and the highlights down?

Everyone goes through an HDR phase... it'll pass.

Most reactions

Back