My first try with HDR

There is a big difference in taking one exposure and making it into three. YOUR STILL NOT COVERING THE CONTRAST RANGE. This technique is for a scene that contains a longer contrast range than the sensor will hold.

Adjusting curves, levels etc, is not the same as making multi expoures to cover the contrast range. If one doesn't have enough information in the highlights, or in the shadows adjusting the curve is not going to place information in those areas; exposure is the important value here.

You take as many exposures as necessary , not just 3

For what I shoot most (landscapes), I believe it is worth learning how to do. There are going to be scenarios where you can't get the desired range of detail in the shot without it. However, I see it as a tool that I can use if I need to. I try to avoid using it because HDR images don't typically turn out the way I need them to when I plug them into photomatix. It doesn't offer enough control over the process. If I can use a gradient ND filter instead, I'll choose it every time because it gives me a better image.

Everyone goes through an HDR phase... it'll pass.

So you are saying its not worth learning how to do?

I think the problem is, HDR somehow got extremely popular extremely fast.. and everyone and their dog started doing HDR shots and the world got burned out on it. I remember first seeing HDR and thinking "WOW!! That looks amazing!". Now when I see them, I'm reminded how sick of HDR I am. Another problem is that people overdo it. Subtle HDR effects can really enhance a photo, but most people try to go all out to really make the picture pop, which in turn makes it look cheap.

That's my two cents anyway.

What you are creating isn't even an HDR image... technically all the images you're able to see on your 8-bit monitor are actually LDR images that have are a tone-mapped HDR image. The various tone-mapping algorithms are what is responsible for many of the distinct appearances that 'HDR' images can have. What you are doing is just taking a bunch of standard LDR images, doing some kind of weird PP on them, and layering them on top of each other with transparency. BTW, adjusting curves in software is not going to give the file detail that never was there. RAW files actually have a few extra stops of Dynamic Range over JPEGS (not sure how many) but that doesnt mean that it has collected the entire dynamic range of the scene, and if it hasn't then your software can't magically create it by sliding a few bars and adjust curves. It can only exaggerate what was already there.

HDR photo software & plugin for Lightroom, Aperture & Photoshop - Tone Mapping, Exposure Fusion & HDR Imaging for photography

photoSIG » My HDR Procedure

photomatix is a FREE HDR program (trial version is free), and it just uses watermarks until you pay for it. Soooo, for learning it's basically free. The above links are very helpful.

qtpfsgui is also free and has NO watermark. It has about 6 or 7 different tone-mapping algorithms.

Download Luminance HDR

The new version is LuminanceHDR and is easier to find, but if you can find the old version which is actually called qtpfsgui, it is much more stable... the new version crashes frequently.

Some good info in here, just to show what an HDR image can do when exposed correctly. This is from a handheld sequence from -4 through to +4, tone mapped only and I started fixing the clouds but no other adjustments made yet, probably wont as it really is just a test shot, I was hanging out to try out the 10-22mm. Shot at midday, while I was contemplating what I could shoot, lol. A little overcooked, but I think the interior of the car came out well, including how filthy my work hack really is, haha.

Oops I deleted all of them except the one where the sky was exposed the best.

falconcorrectsky.jpg

falconhdr8.jpg

As others have stated. HDR needs bracketed exposure to encompass a wider range. Faking it with one exposure is not the same thing because you can't physically stretch one exposure wide enough without destroying it. ( the whole reason someone came up with the HDR technique )

RobNZ showed a good example of the difference you get by doing HDR. However, IMO his HDR is a little overcooked. Thats just personal taste, and many people like to push it to the sort of surreal/fake look which is perfectly fine. ( his wasn't quite as extreme though so I would say its just slightly overcooked to me :D ) Many people use HDR in a tame way to where in many cases you would never know it was HDR to begin with, it just looks more natural, as opposed to looking more unnatural ( the surreal method ). Unless you just want to tone map an image for the crazy effect you can get, not every scene calls for HDR.

An easy way to think of what HDR does, is to imagine sitting inside your house and shooting a sunny yard through your front window. The best way to shoot this would be to take an exposure for the inside of the house, and one for the outside of the house and then paste the window exposure onto the window on the "indoors exposure". If you tried to shoot them both at once it would not work. The indoors would be black due to the bright window scene. If you tried to bump up the brightness, you would get tons of noise. If you tried to expose for the indoors, the window scene would be blown out due to the bright sun. HDR does the same thing as manually pasting that "exposure" except at many different spots within the picture as is needed. Hope this helps.

Everyone goes through an HDR phase... it'll pass.
BOOOO.
:thumbdown:

Some of us happen to enjoy HDR photography. Shooting HDR doesn't mean you can throw away proper composition, etc. You can't create a great photo from a so-so one even with HDR. :thumbup:

It sounds like HDR is about the same as Selective Color as far as popularity goes here.

I happen to really like HDR photos when done properly.....however....this one reminds me of baby throw up. :meh:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back