My first try with HDR

It sounds like HDR is about the same as Selective Color as far as popularity goes here.

Yep.

Both are hideous when used 'just for the heck of it'

I wasn't saying you shouldn't learn how to bracket and process the images, but first know why you're doing it rather than just loading them into photomatix and pushing the sliders all the way to the right.

It sounds like HDR is about the same as Selective Color as far as popularity goes here.

Yep.

I wasn't saying you shouldn't learn how to bracket and process the images, but first know why you're doing it rather than just loading them into photomatix and pushing the sliders all the way to the right.

Master of the obvous...My God man.... cut a brotha some slack, I'm just trying to learn this stuff. Give me a box of crayolas and then complain when I don't make a Monet out of it?

I know why I'm doing it... I think if you look at the first (and second) picture you can tell that I'm doing it for the right reason.... I'm just not doing it right and using the right image. First of all, I was just sitting at work with a single image and trying to create an HDR image out of it. As many have said, that dosen't work.... in order to do it, I need to take multiple exposures, not just 1 and process the exposures out of it... it simply dosen't work that way. Secondly, in order for HDR to be useful, you need to actually have a high dynamic range.... both of my attempts were already well exposed with a realtivly narrow dynamic range in the first place.

My "attempts" at making an HDR image wasn't to produce a good HDR image, it was to learn the techniques behind doing it with the software I had available to do it. My HDR images certainly failed... but they did start a good discussion, and I did get a lot out of it. I never would have gotten this much of a discussion if I had just said, "How do I do HDR?"

Yep.

Master of the obvous...My God man.... cut a brotha some slack, I'm just trying to learn this stuff. Give me a box of crayolas and then complain when I don't make a Monet out of it?

I know why I'm doing it... I think if you look at the first (and second) picture you can tell that I'm doing it for the right reason.... I'm just not doing it right and using the right image. First of all, I was just sitting at work with a single image and trying to create an HDR image out of it. As many have said, that dosen't work.... in order to do it, I need to take multiple exposures, not just 1 and process the exposures out of it... it simply dosen't work that way. Secondly, in order for HDR to be useful, you need to actually have a high dynamic range.... both of my attempts were already well exposed with a realtivly narrow dynamic range in the first place.

My "attempts" at making an HDR image wasn't to produce a good HDR image, it was to learn the techniques behind doing it with the software I had available to do it. My HDR images certainly failed... but they did start a good discussion, and I did get a lot out of it. I never would have gotten this much of a discussion if I had just said, "How do I do HDR?"

Don't be hard on yourself. I have been a photographer for many years now and I still love HDR. For the right shot it works a treat. Just keep practising.

falconhdr8.jpg

if i didnt know better, id almost consider this to look like a concept art for a car or storyboard lol...it pops out too much for me also some minor issues like highlights around the rear view mirror and CA on the cup holder...

I think it's got a cool retro look regardless of whether it's suppose to be a photograph, or a piece of art.

Works for me.

Yep.

I dont get why you would post those images on here for C&C though? There is nothing to give C&C on they are terrible (No offense but I think even you would agree with that)

its a nice pic, im not saying its bad. it just doesnt work for me...

but how is that retro? people love using that word too much lol

the bluegreenish look, the dash and steering wheel scream 50s or 60s beachboys kind of 'cool'. not a big car buff, so it could be an 80s for all i know, just sayin' - my view.

I dont get why you would post those images on here for C&C though? There is nothing to give C&C on they are terrible (No offense but I think even you would agree with that)

I wasn't posting on C&C for the picture, I was posting it on the technique. And pleny of people did C&C the technique. And I got great answers in reply as to how my technique was flawed (resulting in a terrible shot)

A) 8 bit software simply isn't going to cut it
B) There are software packages out there that do the "technique" for you
C) Using 1 shot and processing it to different exposure levels isn't going to cut it, you need to use 3 shots.
D) You can't just use any shot for HDR... you actually need to have a shot with a High Dynamic Range in order to sucessfully do an HDR shot.

sorry, you need as many shots as needed to cover the contrast range. 3 is sometimes used as a guide line, but it may need 7 or 9 or whatever.

I made the mistake of trying to use just one exposure as well when I first started. I got similar results to the OP. DynamicPhotoHDR has a pseudo HDR preset that can I guess make a single photo look like an HDR.

Here is an example of a photo I took that probably didn't need HDR, but I think it looks better with it.

HDR and cars go together like ham and cheese;)

Most reactions

Back