My first wedding.. C&C editing welcome..

kangta13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Non-paid gig.. lots of fun shooting since i was the second shooter hehe.. no pressure.. feel like i'm lacking color inside that room but didn't know how to fully correct in lightroom..?? would love to hear ideas on what i could fix.. thanks ahead!

20080719-IMG_8661.jpg

20080719-IMG_8658.jpg

20080719-IMG_8653.jpg

20080719-IMG_8318.jpg

abc.jpg

20080719-IMG_8349.jpg

20080719-IMG_8579.jpg

ps.. first shot thought it would be fun.. kinda wanted that "farmer pose"

The first three look stiff to me almost like they are only smiling because there is a picture being taken. I really like the others though. They look a lot more "honest" and appear to really show the mood of the event.

1: looks too stiff to me, and the pose makes them look more like siblings than lovers
2: Too much empty space and the dress is cut off
3: Good pose but the man looks like he has to smile or be killed haha! (not your fault he just seems camera shy)
4: This one makes me giggle, just a shame the leaf is in the way slightly making it distracting to the eye
5: Lovely. No c&c for this from me :)
6: They look slightly like they're on deaths row about to go to their deaths!
7: Too busy, very distracting.

Colours wise though you've got it bang on :)

All are my opinions and a matter of flavor, so you can take advice or not :)

Negative
All of the images seemed to be very soft and personally, I don't like the lighting - too flat. Chances are you used ambient light, and that would explain the lighting as well as skin tone color (too warm).
#1 - pose is crappy - it looks like a passport picture, not a wedding glamor; in future have them form a V and turn faces a bit towards the camera. Also for a pose like this camera angle should be a bit higher.
#2 - I like the idea but again- lighting and too soft.
#3 - better then #1 but same theme (lighting and softness - L&S from now on :) )
#4 - cute snapshot
#5 - I'd prefer to see her in focus in the mirror, but that's me.
#6 - Camera angle, and L&S
#7 - Not sure what you're getting in this image - nor emphasis on the flowers, nor them holding hands, its just - waste of film :)
Positive:
You have an idea of what should/could be done but you didn't get it (at least in the images you posted). It is a positive thing b/c there are people out there who'll have better L&S but no clue what is nice or not.

Here's my advice how to improve:
One of the most important aspects in photography is lighting. W/o light there's no image :). Now for portrait/people lighting, there are number of styles to do so. One of the most simple methods is flat - meaning foreground/background, R&L sides of the face/body have same amount of light. Flat is simpler but also boring. The problem that I have with ambient light only is that it is usually flat & boring. That's why you should get a flash, yank it on top of the camera and start using it (shooting straight, bouncing it, turning it, etc etc. Unfortunatly, a lot of ppl are affraid of using flash, though will never admit to it, and therefore do everything possible not to use it. But fact is that if you look at high end (Hollywood for example) still & even video productions (if you don't want to listen to me) regardless of indoors or outdoors, they all use lights but they way they are used is to punctuate various features of the scene/frame. Law Order Series (SVU to be exact) comes in mind to a very thought-out and specific/dramatic lighting. Now, personally, I hate the color that ambient light produces thus at least WB should be corrected/adjust for it or yank a warm gel on the flash and shoot with that but accent features.
Now the softness: you shot these at around 1.4, more sharpest apertures on most lenses is about 2-3stops DOWN from widest open - which explains why images are so soft.

Someone will read this, quote me, and will say complete opposite of me :) and will say how only natural light is better, etc etc, but fact remains the same that this little "miracle" device that is called flash in an indispensable item and I strongly urge you to get one and learn how to use it efficiently.

If what I said makes sense and you want to talk more about it, feel free to PM me. Also, I often recommend this site Portrait Lighting to TPF community who wants to learn classical lighting.
One point on classical - yes, it is old and many clients don't want their pictures to look like their parents/grandparents albums, however, if you know classical lighting (or music :) ) can easily adapt to any situation (read any score) and deliver outstanding product (performance).

EDIT
I mentioned film earlier... think film when you're shooting digital better yet think medium format film. Back in the day it was preferred format for wedding/portrait photographers. A rough estimate is from moment you purchase a roll of film, shoot and develop it, it is about about $1/frame - therefore it was taught that when you shoot - make your frames count and look good, don't waste it b/c it was a waste of money. If you keep that in mind, you'll quickly become more efficient and will have high % of keepers.

Good Luck

Last edited:
maybe use more vignette ;)

thanks guys for the feedback.. i love this forum.. it's like having a bunch of instant eyes to see things i can't see yet.. definitely glad i signed up..

igsemt the details in your comment are much appreciated, i agree, i don't like my lighting seems like color is missing.. I tend not to like having rely on the flash just because of it's harshness at times and if ever encountering of high ceilings.. i have the fong lightsphere.. but don't like the weight of it and hassle of attaching.. yah.. i was shooting 1.4-2.0 to limit blur w/ movement.. using the flash is definitely my weakness..
i'm gonna look at that site, and i'll take you up on a p.m. or two if i have questions.. thanks!

this forum and the info in the tutorials and links.. are great... love the enthusiam people have for photography.. and their willingness to share knowledge thanks peeps!!

Oh wow, I thought you were gonna call me an @$$h0le or something b/c I was rough (but I'm even more rougher with my own stuff :) )

i have the fong lightsphere.. but don't like the weight of it and hassle of attaching..
There are probably hundreds of online tutorials for using flash:
On youtube, I like Digital Photography 1on1. The guy does a good job explaining number of things about photography
I also like David Ziser's stuff. Here's a list of his online tutorials Viddler.com - Browsing ziser's public videos and number of them are on lighting. He did a series of lighting and posing with Scott Kelby at Kelby's training - amazing videos and at least in front of the camera, he comes off very nice, polite and education. Though some tutorials, I feel, he stretches more then should be but nonetheless if you invest time and learn from them your skill will improve greatly.
You not scaring me about PMs :) my AIM name is same as this one here so if you can find me there, it would be fine as well...
this forum and the info in the tutorials and links.. are great... love the enthusiam people have for photography.. and their willingness to share knowledge thanks peeps!!
:thumbup:
Some people here are really amazing (not going to name any b/c don't want to leave anyone out). Not b/c of knowledge that they have but also experience and their will to help out or even explain simple concepts. So you are in the right place to improve your skill.

EDIT.
A member here, posted a series of threads that are full of 411, here's one of the later once http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ry/193293-topic-3-layers-post-processing.html links to earlier once are there as well :)

igsemt.. the only bad thing i've found about posting here.. is that i realize how much there is to learn about photography :sillysmi: .. as a person not in the field professionally, i've purchased alot of equipment.. but at my stage, it's almost like having a ferrari and not knowing how to drive it.. you should see my compy, multiple pages open reading, and reading.. yet at last sleep is my enemy... thanks everybody for the posts!!

1. I agree they look very stiff
2. cute photo, but needs some editing - maybe some more contrast and a bit of sharpening around the eyes to make them pop.. they sorta blend into them for me?
3. cute but a lot of nothing up at the top?
4. I like this one, but not the plant in the bottom left..
5. reminds me of this wedding photo of mine, and while you may say I'm biased, thats fine lol but I feel like my photographer got the better angle on this shot:
picforsiggy-1.jpg

6. Neat angle.. but she looks like she's awaiting judgement in court, she should have smiled or at least looked happy? lol
7. those other people need to move and I feel like her chin shouldn't be showing in this photo.. if you weren't going to show heads - keep her chin out too :)

number one photo is my farmer photo... hehe, actually instructed them to stand stiff.. wanted to see how it looked w/ the podium.. guess it didn't work.. :).. what i liked about my pic number 5 .. was the light coming off the hair giving that nice color.. and the angle of the back.. i was trying to duplicate the ones i saw with the bride prepping in the mirror.. but the mirror was dirty.. so i threw them out.. frommrstomommy, the angle is cool.. but i think it would be great w/ one of those oval mirrors framed w/ wood.. thanks for the comments i've been reading every one!! wow i can't seem to sleep today.. this hobbie is addicting..;)

igsemt.. the only bad thing i've found about posting here.. is that i realize how much there is to learn about photography :sillysmi: .. as a person not in the field professionally, i've purchased alot of equipment.. but at my stage, it's almost like having a ferrari and not knowing how to drive it.. you should see my compy, multiple pages open reading, and reading.. yet at last sleep is my enemy... thanks everybody for the posts!!
well, u got kool toys, now let's teach you how to drive them :)

number one photo is my farmer photo... hehe, actually instructed them to stand stiff.. wanted to see how it looked w/ the podium.. guess it didn't work.. :).. what i liked about my pic number 5 .. was the light coming off the hair giving that nice color.. and the angle of the back.. i was trying to duplicate the ones i saw with the bride prepping in the mirror.. but the mirror was dirty.. so i threw them out.. frommrstomommy, the angle is cool.. but i think it would be great w/ one of those oval mirrors framed w/ wood.. thanks for the comments i've been reading every one!! wow i can't seem to sleep today.. this hobbie is addicting..;)

lol I agree an oval shaped mirror with a wooden frame would be lovely.. and considering that we were actually at a VERY nice 5* hotel on the beach in south florida - the mirror wasn't award winning :lol: The room wasn't bad at all, but we paid for the view of the ocean more than anything haha - was a beach wedding.

well, u got kool toys, now let's teach you how to drive them :)

wee!! i can't wait.. i have some softboxes coming in to add to my white lightnings.. i'll have to post a couple of first try studio type portraits.. it'll be like christmas, and i'm santaclaus?? :confused:.. oh boyee.. i just realized why they call "pocket wizards" "pocket wizards"..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back