My First Wedding Shoot. Please C&C

DanPonjican

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.detailinggurus.com
After much begging and pleading, I reluctantly agreed to shoot my sister-in-law's wedding this past weekend. I'm no pro and not even a seasoned hobbiest. In any event, I'm interested in your opinions, critisms or props (yeah right!). Overall, I supposed I am satisfied with the results considering my experience level.

I shot with my Canon XT, Speedlite 580EX II (with a GF universal cloud diffuser) and either a Tamron AF17-50mm F/2.8 lens or a Canon 50mm F1.8 portrait lens.

Here is a link to the gallery:
http://dan.ponjican.com/ElizabethandPaul/index.htm

I think they are good, especially as its your first go, maybe there is a bit to much skin softening on a couple of photos...

hopefully you enjoyed your self too

Not bad for a first wedding. I don't care for the white arbor thing in the background I think it is distracting. I also think the portriats of her alone are a little dark and you can see that her dress has been put over the chair. Maybe crop in a little closer so that the train is not so visible.

You might get more response if you posted a few of your favorites here, or if you picked out a few you specifically wanted some critique on.

very good... Hope I do as well on my first time. Did you think the lenses you used did the trick?
I definitely liked the versatility of the Tamron lens. It seemed to accomplish most everything I was looking to get.

Here's a couple of my favorite shots:

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3025s.jpg

IMG_3098%20Fixed%20Wall%20from%20RAW%20B%26W.jpg

If that is your first attempt....god help us when you've had some practice !!

You obviously have the talent to capture moments that matter. I like your shots alot!

I think that you did a good job, Some of you shots are excellent, a bunch are good, and a few could be better, but overall nice job. I think that you could bring out a bit more color and "pop" is a few of them and it would really look great. Also love some of the bride shots. Also, Its good to be modest here when you are looking for feedback, but don't sell yourself short if other opportunities should arise, you have some good work here, better than some... ahem, "Possessional" work I have seen.

You have a few good ones.

But to be completely honest, you snapped out about 700 frames and only got about 5 or 6 good shots, and none that truly caught my eye. If it were my wedding, I wouldnt have paid you. Please dont take it personally, as I am probably the most scrutinizing critic on the entire website. And dont think Im perfect either. Ive never shot a wedding before, and neither do I plan to. Theres a lot of pressure as a wedding photographer. If you didnt get the shots, youre messing with someones life.

However...not bad for your first try. I suggest going out with an established wedding photographer in your area and watching how he/she does things.

No offense taken... I pretty much told the bride like it is. I'm not a pro so she really didn't expect much. With that said, the preliminary reactions from her were very positive. So I think I managed her expectations well (my moto = Under Promise... Over Deliver). Honestly, statistics certainly played into my strategy. I figured if I shot enough shots at various angles and lighting, I would at the very least have enough for a decent delivery.

Thanks for the feedback.

P.S. I wasn't paid for this... it was a favor.

Most reactions

Back