My Friend Tomo w/ Trumpet

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Tomo-Trumpet-Post-1.jpg

Interesting idea; I like this, but I wish we could see his whole arm and more importantly the whole horn.

He's riding awfully low in the frame, with a bunch of unwelcome head space above. I tried cropping this a couple of ways, to eliminate the top space...it doesn't quite work perfectly, but it's better than the as-shown way. You are in tricky territory with this shot: you are soooooo close to him that the perspective drops off very fast: his entire head is small-looking...the hand looks big...I dunno...when you're this close, the slightest few inches one way or the other way plays a huge part in what gets in the shot. This is a fantastic concept. It would look very,very different shot with a 105mm lens from 12 feet, from the same low angle. You now have the raw flash power to pull deep DOF if you go to f/16 on shots like this and use the Speedo system.

I dunno...even cropped unsatifactorily, it's still an interesting photo. I've seen horn players before, but I like this new-era fake vintage photo type processing, I think it looks good these days, it looks like 2015. The LIGHTING you set up is actually pretty decent. And I mean, hey, this is so,so different than most images! I think you've been doing some pretty good work in-studio, and within a year or so, you're gonna be developing a recognizable style I think. You seem to be taking to this studio portraiture thing pretty well.

I'm not in agreement that we need to see the whole horn, but I think the top space/way the frame was used, is not right, not elegant, not pleasing to the eye.

Here's another from the same set.
TomoTrumpet2-1.jpg

Most reactions

Back