What's new

My Girl, Jersey

You'll get a bunch of people who will probably say "never ever cut off limbs/head"... I hear it all the time here. I'm totally new to photography but I see people do it a lot both in amateur shots and pro shots, and it never really bothers me.

-tim

That is a rule like all other rules... they are actually more guidelines to help new people learn the basics of what makes a photo interesting.

People who say "never ever" are full of crap IMO. Just as with the rule of thirds, it is totally fine to not apply it when it suits the image. Cutting off limbs, heads or what not is fine, as long as it suits the image and you are doing this with intent.

I've told many people not to cut off limbs, mainly because the limbs they were cutting off totally destroyed the picture. It was not really a thought when they were taking the picture. So drilling in to someone's head that you not only have to compose your subject, but you have to watch what is in the frame, and then pay attention to the background and so on is what is important.

I know all rules are meant to be broken. The advice about not cutting of limbs was given to me on my first post, and I've honestly tried to take it into consideration in all of my shots since (sometimes I follow it, sometimes I don't but it's always in my head). I suppose that's the point, but since on this forum I hear "never ever" about that A LOT. Just think it's too extreme a point of view around here.... I like your perspective on it though

-tim
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom