What's new

My "GO" at still life and advice taken. What do you think?

AMOMENT

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 27, 2011
Messages
701
Reaction score
48
Location
NY
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday I shot these in either P, S, or A priority. For a few I spot metered off of the butterfly to expose right for it but now I think I should have metered off of the white window curtain behind me because it was blown out. For the one of my husband, the first photo was done in complete auto focus )didn't even choose the AF points) and the second I focused on his eyes. For the ones with the bunny on the dresser, I chose my focus points but shot in aperture priority to really get a feel of the DOF. I did increase my exposure compensation by 1.7 but to be honest, this was a mistake. These are SOOC, I wasn't sure where to post so I did so here because the post pertaining to these shots prior, was done here.

1.
stilllife030.jpg


2.
stilllife032.jpg


3.
stilllife049.jpg


4.
stilllife053.jpg


5.
stilllife050.jpg


6.
stilllife057.jpg


7.
stilllife058.jpg


8.
stilllife067.jpg


9.
stilllife072.jpg


10.
stilllife075.jpg


11.
stilllife078.jpg


12.
stilllife093.jpg
 
Looks like good practice for portraiture.
 
Why was it a mistake to up your exposure compensation? I actually think you did a really good job with the exposure on a lot of these. :sillysmi:

The first one, I think your exposure is good and your focus is great. Your composition is a little weak though. I think I would have preferred if you had shifted more to the left with the frame, putting the main flower off the right and catching more of the texture of the wood and allowing the flowers in the back to add more color, while being framed in a more "comfortable" spot. As of right now it feels really "left-side" heavy because you have nothing but the green off to the right side.

The second one may be a HAIR over exposed on the flowers, but it's not bad at all. I would have framed it lower though so you weren't cutting off that lower flower and you were getting less of the siding in the background.

Your exposure and focus on the 3rd one is good, but again, the composition is weak. I would have cropped out the black corners.

The symmetry in the 4th one, I like... exposure is good, focus is good...

Fifth one is the same as the 3rd, but it seems a hair overexposed.

Not of a fan of 6... you placed the focus in a weird spot. Or maybe it's just that the DOF is REALLY shallow here making it feell like the focus is in a strange place. I would have closed down your aperture a little more to get more of the butterfly in focus

Same thing with 7, although I like the angle you took on it much more.

Your best exposure on the rabbit was #10 and it seems to me like all of them were in good focus.

The WB on your hubby is a bit too cool... and you're over exposing in #11. See how his cheeks and nose are totally white? Focus seems good though.

Your exposure in 12 is good... but it seems like his chin might be a hair more in focus than his eyes in that one. Could just be me... but it looks that way to me when I look at the larger version.

Keep practicing! You're doing well! :sillysmi:
 
Posting 12 photos of 3 different genre's is not an efficient way to get valuable comments.

I highly recommend you post just 1 photo at a time.
 
Seems like they get better as they go along. Next time leave hubby out and do some self portraits of you!
 
This isnt simplified, still multiple subjects, mutiple angles, different lighting, indoor/outdoor and no identification per image of what the settings were and why.
Focus on one subject and practice different settings on that one subject, DO NOT CHANGE ANGLES, LIGHTING OR POSITION of subject, just change one setting at a time up and down its range then move to the next.
Nothing faster than moss.
Good Luck, keep shooting. :thumbup:
 
Why do you always add 1 to 1-2/3 stop of exposure compensation when shooting in manual? You do understand that it does nothing but change your meter in manual, right? You can do exactly the same thing in manual by adjusting either the aperture or shutter speed and you never have to wonder whether your meter is reading right or not.

Also, the first two were shot at 1/2000 and 1/1000 second respectively at ISO 800. The D7000 does an excellent job at ISO 800 but don't push it when you don't need to, and shooting a flower you sure didn't need that kind of shutter speed. You probably would have had a slightly sharper image at ISO 200 and 1/500 and 1/250 second.
 
This isnt simplified, still multiple subjects, mutiple angles, different lighting, indoor/outdoor and no identification per image of what the settings were and why.
Focus on one subject and practice different settings on that one subject, DO NOT CHANGE ANGLES, LIGHTING OR POSITION of subject, just change one setting at a time up and down its range then move to the next.
Nothing faster than moss.
Good Luck, keep shooting. :thumbup:
Hey babe, where you been?
 
One thing that really stands out to me is that your subject is almost always centered. Using the rule of thirds makes photos much more appealing to the eye. That is a simple fix though! (:
 
Why do you always add 1 to 1-2/3 stop of exposure compensation when shooting in manual?

She wasn't shooting manual... She said she was either in P, S or A....
 
...unless the EXIF stated otherwise. I didnt' check. :lmao:
 
...unless the EXIF stated otherwise. I didnt' check. :lmao:
I did check. 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 11 were shot in manual mode and all but 11 had +1.0 or +1.67 EV.
 
One thing that really stands out to me is that your subject is almost always centered. Using the rule of thirds makes photos much more appealing to the eye. That is a simple fix though! (:

Perhaps it's way too early to worry of composition but maybe she should keep it in mind.

Ive read so many of your posts (OP) and see that you want to learn but damn if you aren't doing everything the wrong way. My advce is stop, join a local Club, find a local mentor or take a class. The Internet isn't helping fast enough.
 
Most people can and do check pictures EXIF data but maybe it would be helpful for you to actually post the settings for each image. That way you know, for sure, what you did, what settings you chose and how the image came out.

Like when you posted this did you know exactly which one you shot in manual, program, aperture? And what all the settings were for each image you posted? Maybe I'm wrong but I think it might help especially when you are having issues. You can go back and see what they all have in common then you will know what's going on.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom