My HDR effect

it doesn't matter if you are 'allowed' to use them. It is against forum rules to post photos that are not yours. It's a bright line rule, it doesn't matter if you got express permission to use them, it's still against forum rules to post any pictures that you yourself didn't take, or are an edit of a photo posted by another member, posted in the same thread as the original shots that the original owner posted them in.

It's not bashing, they simply don't look very good. In the image of the little girl and the young man, you made them both look like sort of creepily aged versions of themselves. The young blonde lady you've made her look oily and sickly.

You asked us to let you know what we think, and on these images the processing does more harm than good. Perhaps the effect could work on some sort of image, but they clearly detract here. That's all that ever needs to be said about processing, is the image better or worse because of it, or perhaps just merely different. I think most everybody would view these particular images and say they look worse for the edit.

And as to your point about your technique looking better in a different context, well, that's the whole thing. The biggest part of editing is knowing what is appropriate for the image. There are all kinds of actions that look fantastic on one image and awful on a another. 99% of editing is knowing when to apply what effect. So, saying 'they look better on other types of photos' isn't saying much at all. There's some image that is improved by pretty much any editing technique. Finding the right mix for a particular image is where all the skill lies. I've literally created thousands of different editing styles, because I have to. If you truly want to edit, you have to understand nearly all the parameters of the program you're using, how they work, and be able to visualize what you want, and what tools to get it there. Dumb 'actions' applied crudely are a recipe for editing in poor taste.

edit: in fairness, the landscape edit is pretty good.

You want feedback from the first set. #1 isn't too bad but on the other two you killed their skin tone and made them look like total crap.

The original images are much better than their altered counterparts.

I agree. The edited versions don't look nearly as natural as the originals, and for portraits that isn't necessarily a good thing.

Edit ... I didn't realize that there were bunch of posts after the one I quoted. I also didn't realize the OP was going to get annoyed when people responded to his asking what we though.

So, I'll tell you what I think: I think the effect you have created makes them look like they have been on drugs for a couple of years. The look aged and wrinkled and strung out. A portrait is supposed to be flattering and those are not. The landscape looks much better, but even it has very heavy haloing around the trees. Sorry, but it does nothing at all for me, and I can't tell you how to fix it other than reduce the amount of processing a LOT.

Last edited:
Tone mapping and faces are an awful combination. Even if someone had absolutely perfect skin you shouldn't want to tone map it...you just don't want to see all the disgusting detail in someone's face. The little girl looks like the daughter of skeletor. My helpful advice is just not to do tone mapping and faces...just no. Maybe clowns, that's it.

Tone mapping and faces are an awful combination. Even if someone had absolutely perfect skin you shouldn't want to tone map it...you just don't want to see all the disgusting detail in someone's face. The little girl looks like the daughter of skeletor. My helpful advice is just not to do tone mapping and faces...just no. Maybe clowns, that's it.

Unless your are photographing a gritty hockey player. :er:

This looks a bit more like the 'Dragan' effect than HDR/tonemapping to me. I rather like the 2nd set, but IMO, it doesn't work as well for the 'clean' portraits of the first set. I think this kind of look can work well for something more like street photography or rougher more aged faces. For example: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8455/7948817746_12ede4ca8a_b.jpg

it doesn't matter if you got express permission to use them, it's still against forum rules to post any pictures that you yourself didn't take, or are an edit of a photo posted by another member, posted in the same thread as the original shots that the original owner posted them in.

the RULES said:
* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated.

I understand PERMISSION....But I do not understand the comment about - "an edit of a photo posted by another member, posted in the same thread as the original shots that the original owner posted them in."

If I ask people to EDIT my work to explain something I am sure they are allowed to re-post their version of my work..??
I have read and re-read the rules and I am not sure which bit you are reading to get the impression people cannot edit and re-post.
My signature gives people permission to show their interpretation of my work, I would hope they can then post that impression in my thread so I can see it...?? Otherwise I would have to hunt around to find their reply to my work.

SUNR15E

it doesn't matter if you got express permission to use them, it's still against forum rules to post any pictures that you yourself didn't take, or are an edit of a photo posted by another member, posted in the same thread as the original shots that the original owner posted them in.

the RULES said:
* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated.

I understand PERMISSION....But I do not understand the comment about - "an edit of a photo posted by another member, posted in the same thread as the original shots that the original owner posted them in."

If I ask people to EDIT my work to explain something I am sure they are allowed to re-post their version of my work..??
I have read and re-read the rules and I am not sure which bit you are reading to get the impression people cannot edit and re-post.
My signature gives people permission to show their interpretation of my work, I would hope they can then post that impression in my thread so I can see it...?? Otherwise I would have to hunt around to find their reply to my work.

SUNR15E

Perhaps I was being unclear. I was saying YOU ARE allowed to edit other people's photos, and then re-post them in the same thread, provided the member gives permission (either direct permission or the 'my photos are ok to edit' designation). It's the only exception I know of for the "no posting images that aren't yours" rule.

Right cool that makes more sense... :)

I will shut up now...

But yes I agree we should only input our own works as the original or to show something other than to help someone with their work.

We can all take Other peoples work and edit and call it our own...but where is the skill in that....lol

I understand what the guy was trying to show...and why...but I think a greater understanding of what this forum is about is needed before he posts things like that. We all have to learn but learning and practicing should be done on our own work or work we are helping others with when they ask us to or give permission.

I'm not sure if crumble truly understand what the problem with his images usage is....and I am sure there are others out there that do not see it as a problem...copyright is a complicated issue in many peoples eyes....ownership of an image or intellectual work has been the subject of many arguments. But I think we all know where the line is and should know when work is not ours to mess about with.

SUNR15E

Most reactions

Back