My Initial HDR experiments...Vegas

KevStormJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would appreciate some feedback. I just started playing around with HDR and I'm still trying to find my niche. So far I've gotten positive feedback from friends and family but i would like to hear some unbiased opinions. Thanks!

Attachments

• $image-1521763747.jpg
    $image-1521763747.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 187
  • $image-1395296739.jpg
    $image-1395296739.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 172
  • $image-2543094266.jpg
    $image-2543094266.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 183
  • $image-3634219023.jpg
    $image-3634219023.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 172
i like them for your learning stage, they are over cooked for many peoples tastes , i myself lean to a little over cooked instead of natural in my hdrs, find what style you like because you are the one who must like them before anyone else, keep experimenting and enjoy yourself

I like the third one. I think the "over cooked" looked worked for that picture more than the other three.

-Hunt

Well the best photo is the first photo if that tells you anything.

You captured a genuine moment on her face, very nicely done.

The other 3, wow pretty bad, sorry.

I mean this in the nicest way possible but my eyes hurt looking at them. The processing choices you made does NOT suit these photos well.

You are new to HDR, trust me when I say in a year, you will not like these photos with this processing.

Well the best photo is the first photo if that tells you anything.

You are new to HDR, trust me when I say in a year, you will not like these photos with this processing.

it's true, there's kind of a passage people go through from loving their HDR to soon hating them, then finding a balance or never using that effect again.

I'd recommend bracketing instead if you're not doing that, it kind of looks like you're using a filter or action script. Bracketing brings the fun into building exposures together and doing it in photoshop helps you ask questions you might not be asking when just telling HDR to "turn on".

im not really a fan of the over processed HDR look, so all the building shots are out for me. the first one isnt bad, but it has a more "natural" look than the others.
I would like to see some of the original shots of these to compare.

Thanks for the feedback. I do now see how my stuff is a bit overcooked and I'll be scaling it back a bit. I did like the over cooked look of the Luxor (Img #2) and may be keeping that the way it is. I printed it up as a 12x18 and it doesn't seem to be as aggressive on the eyes as it appears on a monitor. Plus I was going for a highly stylized look for that one. I may do some dodging on some parts of it though, particularly around the eyes since it is a little dark there.

All of them do look a lot softer in printed form, but I do now agree that #3 & 4 are way too over done (even as prints) and I'll be redoing them and be on the look out for that in the future.

Thanks y'all.

Oh and all of them were originally shot in RAW with at least 5 exposures. Some of them 11.

If your bracketing 5-11 exposures you may not need all of them in the shot. Try eliminating the last 1-2 over exposed shots and see how it looks. You would be surprised how different (or better!) your result might be. I would start researching how to eliminate noise and halos in your shots, that goes along way in taking some of the over cooked look out of your hdr photos.

Most reactions

Back