My insect is half in and half out of focus

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Damn macro photography!

So after deciding to change my lens, rather than buy spacers etc - I have a question regarding macro photography - especially with insects as subjects.

1) I manual focus
2) Use a tripod
3) use a good aperture for DoF
4) Use a shutter cable instead of button

yet why is the body of my subject still out of focus after the shot is taken? My viewfinder is showing it's how I want the composition, yet preview afterwards is showing half OUT of focus.

Do I need to pick a different angle? Would taking multiple shots and stacking be better for me?

For your curiosity's sake, I'm using Nikon D7100 w/ Nikkor 105mm f.28G micro/Macro lens.

Tanks.

Sounds like you're doing the right stuff. However, Depth of Field is always quite limited when shooting insects. If you're shooting head-on, perhaps try something more from the side. Can you show an example or two of what you've gotten so far? What do you mean by "a good aperture"? Focus stacking could work if there isn't any subject movement, but may not be necessary if the macro image is shot properly.

When you say you are using a "good" aperture for DOF, what do you mean?

When I do insect macros, my aperture can range from f/16 to f/22, even up to f/29--and even then, sometimes the whole insect isn't in focus.

Posting a picture of the results you're getting would be helpful for anyone to give you suggestions on how to improve.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Murray...

Edit again:
You mentioned changing your angle, and that can also help--IF you're starting with the right settings.
Here's a case in point. This was taken at f/22 and only half the insect is in focus:

This was also f/22, but because I was shooting them more from the side than from the front, I got a lot more of them in focus (although note that even at this aperture and from the side, the DOF still doesn't extend to the whole insect):

Those are handheld, no tripod. Off-camera flash also helps, otherwise you'll end up with insanely high ISO levels or such a low shutter speed that you'll get blur from motion.

Last edited:
Yeah, where is the picture?

John.

I have no images to hand (I delete the bad ones I don't like!), but I am trying f/16 up to f/22 - but it produces the same results, or very similar in that the top / bottom half are out of focus... maybe I should just choose a different focal point on the bug itself ... see if that helps. Not the eyes, but perhaps a neck (if bugs have necks, but hopefully you know what I mean).

I'll shoot some more tonight (if the bugs are out) and see if I can upload a couple at the various f stops.

Here's a case in point. This was taken at f/22 and only half the insect is in focus:

YES!!! Half the focus - it's gotta be an angle thing!! I'll have to improve on that!

I am not using any flash either - so I will also try that!

Awesome - places to start!

It's all about the focus and depth of field, BBN. This one was shot with flash at f36. This little guy [?] was about half the size of my pinky's fingernail:

$Tiny-Spider-e.jpg

Google FOCUS STACKING!

Most reactions

Back