My lighting came in (photos)

Blake.Oney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I ordered 2 flashpoint 320m strobes and a vivitar 285hv hotshoe flash. Both of the strobes came with a stand and one came with a convertible umbrella. I've never used off camera flash before, but I couldn't wait to. Here are the very first shots I took with them. I didn't really concentrate on composition at all. I couldn't get the light position I wanted exactly because these were in my living room. I was so intimidated with all of this I was taken by surprise that it's honestly not at all as hard as I thought it would be. Anyway, here are some photo's of my daughters. I will say that it might have seemed easy for me because I have studied all the theory of it for the past month. I watched the Zack Arias workshop from CL and studied it a lot.

a0v2iw.jpg

30arti8.jpg

2s7ffxc.jpg

Edit: I know the left side of the on in the purple shirt is a little bright. I wanted that light further behind them, but my TV and then wall were in the way of that, so I had to go with the side. It's not blown, says my camera highlight display, but it is a little bright for my tastes.

Exposure is good, but I think you might want to try a less horizontal placement. I'm sure sure you'll be checking out some lighting placements now that you have some new toys.

Oh lighting placement. I had a shoot through umbrella camera right about 3-4 feet above them pointing down at them. It was at about a 45 degree angle at 1/4 power. The light camera left was about level with their mid sections and slightly behind them at 1/16 power. Now that I look at them I'm thinking it should have been 1/32. That light had the stock reflector on it.

OCF is really fun to play with. Congrats on the new lights Blake, I'm anxious to see what you do with them in the coming weeks. :D

.... I was so intimidated with all of this I was taken by surprise that it's honestly not at all as hard as I thought it would be.
Famous last words. :D

Good on 'ya for the kit. Enjoy.

.... I was so intimidated with all of this I was taken by surprise that it's honestly not at all as hard as I thought it would be.
Famous last words. :D

Good on 'ya for the kit. Enjoy.

I specifically meant exposure. I know a lot of the things that will be challenging and I know I'll be learning, but I thought I was going to have much more trouble getting a good exposure and I had it in about 3 shots.

Awesome Blake! I'm so glad the kit arrived,and that you've already unpacked it, set it up, shot with it, and posted pics!!! You're a man of action dude! So...whadda' ya think about the lights themselves? Impressions? Feelings?

Most reactions

Back