My Little Girl wants to be a Model !!! Need input on portfolio shots ... please

weathers_pc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone ... new to the site.
I have been tinkering with photography for a few years now and just recently took some shots of my daughter.
None of the pics under Nov. 4 blog have been edited in any way except the first one. I use CS3 and would like some opinions on what would enhance the shots.

Thanks so much,

Weather

Edited: Link removed (old post)
Thanks for the reviews

Last edited:
weathers_pc said:
Hi everyone ... new to the site.
I have been tinkering with photography for a few years now and just recently took some shots of my daughter for her portfolio.
None of the pics under Nov. 4 blog have been edited in any way except the first one. I use CS3 and would like some opinions on what would enhance the shots.
I've been away from it for a while now and am looking for some input. Her online portfolio is at: Please let me know and feel free to edit some shots in to help me out. I really would like to make her print portfolio as professional and nice as possible without spending loads of cash.

Thanks so much,

Weather

The shots in the first set look like snapshots IMO. Most of the shots are poorly lit and way too busy. If she wants to be a model - the shots should be of her. There is a picture of her in a store- that should definitely not be in a portfolio.

I think you should do some research on composition and lighting. Look up some model portfolios and see what they look like.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, your daughter is absolutely gorgeous and I think she could make an excellent model. She has good bone structure and I can see she's starting to get the poses and looks down.

Second, I ditto MT. Some of the shots are "okay" but I wouldn't consider them to be what you are looking for in a model portfolio. I'd also change "10 yrs" to say "10 years" simply because you want it to be professional no matter what her age is. I think she will do well if you can get the portfolio down.

I would get her in more than just jeans and a t-shirt. Dress up in an age appropriate dress and do some shoots with that. Have hair done in different ways. Work on poses that are flattering but age appropriate.

Good luck...she really is beautiful.

I'm sorry, but to be brutally frank, these are Facebook shots. Take Megan's advice.

WOw .. harsh ... like I said I just tinker around ... I'm not claiming to be a pro in any way shape or form .... the store ones obviously would not be included. I just was hoping you all could let me know what shots are best and what I can do to make them better. I will read up ... We have also recently employed a photographer as well. These were just taken in one afternoon with only a jacket change. But I do appreciate the input and criticism .. .... I'm just a mom trying to take good pics of her daughter while on a budget. Thanks,

Thank you for your input ... I took your advice on the "years" and will keep trying with the portfolio. We can only pursue this dream of hers on a budget ... other kids and other expenses. But thanks again. Would you suggest a picture or two that I may be able to use?

weathers_pc said:
WOw .. harsh ... like I said I just tinker around ... I'm not claiming to be a pro in any way shape or form .... the store ones obviously would not be included. I just was hoping you all could let me know what shots are best and what I can do to make them better. I will read up ... We have also recently employed a photographer as well. These were just taken in one afternoon with only a jacket change. But I do appreciate the input and criticism .. .... I'm just a mom trying to take good pics of her daughter while on a budget. Thanks,

I wasn't being harsh - I was being honest. Do some research, then take your daughter out again for pictures. With a little knowledge you can create great shots of your daughter. None of the shots on that website should be used for a modeling portfolio.

When you do take her out again for some shots - put her far away from a plain background. Like I said before, look at some model portfolios (kids) and pay attention to the posing, the facial expressions, the lighting an the background. It's gonna take some time, practice and research before you can produce some decent shots for a portfolio.

weathers_pc said:

I wasn't being harsh - I was being honest. Do some research, then take your daughter out again for pictures. With a little knowledge you can create great shots of your daughter. None of the shots on that website should be used for a modeling portfolio.

When you do take her out again for some shots - put her far away from a plain background. Like I said before, look at some model portfolios (kids) and pay attention to the posing, the facial expressions, the lighting an the background. It's gonna take some time, practice and research before you can produce some decent shots for a portfolio.

I will take your advice Megan ... do you have a suggested site or book that would be useful to a beginner and help me reach these goals. I do want to help her and it was a fun day for the two of us, I will keep trying. Thanks again

I don't have any recommendations - I'm not a professional nor have I ever shot photos like this. I did a quick google search and there are tons of how to websites for modeling portfolios. Look up some modeling agencies and look at the images. I'm sure you could probably find a book about poses. Maybe someone else will chime in with a recommendation. The Internet is your friend though. Make sure you look up how to take a nice headshot. Portfolios should most definitely have some beautiful headshots.

I like the idea of needing better lit images, if she wants to do the fun thing and current thing I'd look into stock photography and send the images in to a stock photo location and see what happens. You have to remember that they are always looking for current fads and such and you having your daughter at hand can make it a plus for both of you and see what happens.
-
Shoot well, Joe

If you really want to make this work (and there's no reason you can't), you have two several hurdles to overcome. One is of course money; most of us can relate to that. The reality is though, that's the least of your concerns. The two main issues are that your daughter is an aspiring model and you are an aspiring photographer. You have a LOT to learn; lighting, posing, styling, editing etc. Meagan and others have given you some really good pointers. I will take that one step further. Once you've done some research on posing, portfolio content, etc, borrow some ideas that you think really work and try and recreate them. Some of course you may not be able to because you don't have access to the studio gear that was used, but you can take some amazing shots outside with very minimal equipment. It might take you two or twenty-two attempts to recreate one image, but I can guarentee you will learn a LOT. You can always post links to images you like and ask for suggestions/input on how they were shot.

Never confuse honesty with nastiness. Honesty is often harsh, but almost without exception the advice you get here will be meant to help you improve!

Thanks joealcantar ... I will look into that ...
Megan ... I guess I have some researching to do. Thanks again.

If you really want to make this work (and there's no reason you can't), you have two several hurdles to overcome. One is of course money; most of us can relate to that. The reality is though, that's the least of your concerns. The two main issues are that your daughter is an aspiring model and you are an aspiring photographer. You have a LOT to learn; lighting, posing, styling, editing etc. Meagan and others have given you some really good pointers. I will take that one step further. Once you've done some research on posing, portfolio content, etc, borrow some ideas that you think really work and try and recreate them. Some of course you may not be able to because you don't have access to the studio gear that was used, but you can take some amazing shots outside with very minimal equipment. It might take you two or twenty-two attempts to recreate one image, but I can guarentee you will learn a LOT. You can always post links to images you like and ask for suggestions/input on how they were shot.

Never confuse honesty with nastiness. Honesty is often harsh, but almost without exception the advice you get here will be meant to help you improve!

Thank You John ... I will take your advice ... I guess I just thought they were really good and kinda had a wake up call. I will keep trying in my spare time and put down the novels in the evening for some photography research ... including posing, portfolio .. etc ... I will check out your site this evening .... I'm off to hockey again for now.... talk to ya later

Welcome and good luck. I'm fairly new to this forum myself but a good way to think of it is this: this isn't a dinner party with the in laws where despite bad cooking people smile and compliment and swallow politely. It's "hells kitchen" with lots of Gordon Ramsey's running around not afraid to speak their mind- but most know what they're talking about and do have valuable info to share. (I'm not implying anyone in this thread was ugly for clarification).

Just don't be surprised with blunt honesty is all I'm saying :)

Some of your pics are really blown out (the first one of her in front of a very bright fence with white hoodie?). If you can check YouTube for photoshop tutorials you'll find a lot of useful info that goes step by step to show you how to change things. Also- personal opinion- but I would scrap the pic of her in the window frame immediately. The pose is awkward, and her rear seems to be aimed straight at the camera.... Just feels odd as a viewer. My two cents for what it's worth.

Most reactions

Back